Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU 2010

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2010, 05:12 PM
Friend

I think the right decision was made and should remain; this is why a site like this is so important.
All feeling a part of the community no matter what standard one is at.

A level playing field, which is what the internet was and should be all about…….

Sorry – getting off my soapbox!

David.
Old 6th March 2010, 05:14 PM
Friend

Sounds right to me, Dave

Mike
Old 6th March 2010, 05:30 PM
Friend

Seeing I turned in my ARPS last year I support the move 100 %

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 6th March 2010, 07:33 PM
Friend

I agree with Dave on this as it can get to look a bit silly, let the prints speak for themselves.
Although I do believe that qualifications / some distinctions and formal photographic education can help you get more satisfaction out of your photography.
I never use any of my distinctions on my prints.
I've now also removed the RPS distinction from my signature.
JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 7th March 2010, 09:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
I think maintaining the status quo would be a good thing. As one of Dave's 'tyro' printers, the sense of a level playing field is an encouragement to have a go. FADU has grown a lot, so there will doubtless be much fiercer competition for inclusion in FADU 2010, but all Friends should be able to feel they are in with a shout of getting a print included, qualifications and experience notwithstanding.
“Fiercer competition” sounds good to me, I dreamt the other night that I was hanging 40 empty frames in the exhibition gallery.
Seriously, I think the effort of obtaining awards and distinctions is a worthwhile part of the learning process as it pushes one into areas that maybe we wouldn’t otherwise go. So I’m not in any way denigrating there attainment, it’s just that I believe they are irrelevant to the task of viewing photographs.
Old 7th March 2010, 02:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
“Fiercer competition” sounds good to me, I dreamt the other night that I was hanging 40 empty frames in the exhibition gallery.
Seriously, I think the effort of obtaining awards and distinctions is a worthwhile part of the learning process as it pushes one into areas that maybe we wouldn’t otherwise go. So I’m not in any way denigrating there attainment, it’s just that I believe they are irrelevant to the task of viewing photographs.
Following the success of FADU 2009, I don't think you will have any trouble getting enough submissions to FADU 2010, just the 'problem' of selecting the final entries. Still, as problems go, it's not a bad one to have...

I too think that qualifications, awards and distinctions are worthwhile, but in terms of FADU exhibitions, they should be secondary to the prints. The group has an egalitarian feel to it and this is something that I felt was borne out in the exhibition and book ( and long may it continue). There is always scope within the artist's statement for a photographer to refer to their distinctions / qualifications if they wish to.
Old 7th March 2010, 08:19 PM
Friend

A distinction can be a good thing; one sets a target and works towards that target, and the distinction shows that a certain level of proficiency has been reached, a target achieved.
However, some people become obsessed with distinctions, most notably camera club judges. We have some who insist that all their distinctions are read out before they start judging; this can take 20 minutes or more (Well, it seems like it.) They then proceed to show how little they really know...
In the context of FADU, I think you made the right descision Dave. Who cares what letters someone has after their name? It's their work that counts.
(Phew)
Old 8th March 2010, 08:13 AM
Friend

Hi Dave,

I agree with your approach - the photos speak for themselves. No need for a long list of letters after names.

Mark
Old 8th March 2010, 08:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hogan View Post
... We have some who insist that all their distinctions are read out before they start judging; this can take 20 minutes or more (Well, it seems like it.) ........... (Phew)
Interesting - But when I was judging I quite often came across CC Chairpersons who gassed on for about 30 minutes (about nothing) before I got introduced and was given a chance to look at the prints

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 8th March 2010, 10:27 AM
Friend

I agree with leaving off the distinctions. To me they have about the same relevance as pretentious artists' statements.

Steve.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies