Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Overseas

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th June 2010, 10:55 AM
Friend

Default Off to Nepal

I'm off to Nepal tomorrow! How exciting indeed. I'm gonna add points of interest to this thread during and after the trip, maybe along with some uploads from my digi-cam until I get back into the darkroom in September.

Namaste,
Theo
Old 30th June 2010, 10:59 AM
Friend

A fine place to visit. Have a good safe trip.
Old 30th June 2010, 11:36 AM
Friend

I envy you – some friends of mine went a couple of years back and had a good time – hotel was an adventure but they did come back with some great photographs.
Have a safe and fun trip.

David.

http://davidalockwood.wordpress.com
Old 30th June 2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator

I spent some time there a long time ago. It will be an adventure you will never forget.

Last edited by Barry; 30th June 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 30th June 2010, 01:56 PM
Friend

I look forward to seeing your pics and hearing about your experiences on the "roof of the world"

Mike
Old 30th June 2010, 02:16 PM
Friend

Theo, have a very enjoyable trip, and we will all,I'm sure, look forward to seeing the results of your trip upon your return,Richard
Old 30th June 2010, 06:00 PM
Friend

Have a great trip Theo - it's a place I'd love to go to myself one day. Keep us updated from time to time .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 16th July 2010, 01:37 PM
Friend

Well the digicam pics are definitely out of the equation as the internet is so slow here I'd have to pay about 1 pound a picture for internet time!

So far the trip is incredible, photographically challenging and hopefully once I get into the darkroom, rewarding.

I had a scare while trecking I had to use a log as a bridge over a raging waterfall, and dropped my camera (which was stupidly just slung on one shoulder) on a rock, and I heard something break - "luckily" it was just part of the lens mount... I say luckily - it would have cost the price of a new camera to repair back home, but here it cost me 300 rupies... which is about 3 pounds, or less.

I definitely recommend coming to nepal at some point in your lives if you haven't already. The culture and colour here is mind blowing, as soon as I got here I had to buy colour film (so cheap you don't want to know) just to try to capture at least some of the vibrancy here. Only downside is you can't buy B&W film here, and definitely no medium format film, though I'm still on the lookout.

The best moment so far was working in an orphanage. The kids saw I had a camera and wanted me to take a picture of them (they know how to pose to look hard done by already, because they know it makes tourists more likely to give them money). They were horribly confused as to why they couldn't see the picture afterwards, but I let them play with my camera all the same and they loved looking through the viewfinder and twiddling the focus, which they had never done before.

I have taken some rolls of film on XP2 film so I will be able to show scans of those in august, but the "real" pictures will appear in september/october when I'm back in the darkroom.

Cheers all
Theo
Old 16th July 2010, 01:58 PM
Friend

Sounds as if you are having a great time, thanks for letting us know how it's all going, and I am sure we will all be looking forward to seeing the results of your trip here, Enjoy yourself,Richard
Old 16th July 2010, 03:40 PM
Friend

I'm completely jealous, but glad to hear that you are enjoying your trip all the same.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies