Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd December 2008, 01:12 PM
Friend

Default Anyone........?

Anyone here doing any form of contact printing? I know Carl Radford and Ian Leake does, and I am (thanks to Ian) but is there anyone else. Please share your thoughts, loves, hates, anything really.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd December 2008, 01:48 PM
Friend

The only reason I brought a 10x8 was to get reasonable size contact prints. My cyanotype cat is an example, not that I have yet made many, but give me time.
Old 2nd December 2008, 02:47 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The only reason I brought a 10x8 was to get reasonable size contact prints. My cyanotype cat is an example, not that I have yet made many, but give me time.
Sorry Dave, of course How are you finding the 10x8? Personally I'm finding the kit a bit heavy to travel any real distance with. I've managed to put the entire kit on wheels in an attempt to get me to places with relative ease. But I'm enjoying the contact process. I've always felt there is something a little special about contact prints probably something to do with the removal of yet one more optical system (enlarger)? And I've only ever been interested in producing a negative in camera. Enlargement and internegs hold no interest for me.....just a personal thing.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd December 2008, 03:18 PM
Friend

MM, I have been doing some cyanotypes and vandykes for a while. Mostly using digi negs but also LF 5x7 negs using x-ray film. My LF 'camera' is a pain and isn't suited to conditions up here really where the wind blows most of the time - when there isn't a gale blowing.
See these - digi neg [OHP injet film from Staples] cyanotype toned wif tea

Old 2nd December 2008, 04:47 PM
Friend

I make platinum/palladium prints from digital negatives...
Old 2nd December 2008, 05:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Sorry Dave, of course How are you finding the 10x8? Personally I'm finding the kit a bit heavy to travel any real distance with. I've managed to put the entire kit on wheels in an attempt to get me to places with relative ease. But I'm enjoying the contact process. I've always felt there is something a little special about contact prints probably something to do with the removal of yet one more optical system (enlarger)? And I've only ever been interested in producing a negative in camera. Enlargement and internegs hold no interest for me.....just a personal thing.
Mine is a studio camera, a Horseman in the guise of a Toyo. I don't take it for walks.
Old 2nd December 2008, 05:35 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Anyone here doing any form of contact printing? I know Carl Radford and Ian Leake does, and I am (thanks to Ian) but is there anyone else. Please share your thoughts, loves, hates, anything really.

Love it and want to do more when time allows. I have only tried POP so far with using the sun as a light source and found that to be very adictive.
Working with film from a 5x4 Crown Graphic which is very portable. In difficult (windy / wet) landscape situations I quite often focus with the on-board rangefinder and use the built-in viewfinder instead of the ground glass screen.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd December 2008, 05:39 PM
Friend

I've done a few, though not as many as I hope to in the future. The first was using a 5x7 extension back on the 4x5 Surveyor.

Nice, but not big enough.

I then tried a few 6.5x8.5" shots ...

... but had more fun once I'd adapted the 5x7 back for the whole plate camera.

Wephota or Fortepan in Rodinal. These are negative scans, but the printing was very straightforward. No funky stuff yet.
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:17 PM
Friend

This is really heart warming, so many (well in relative terms at least) practising the act and art of contact printing.

Recently I've been getting to grips with palladium and platinum. But I also enjoy printing on POP (please bring it back Ilford) and still awaiting the arrival of Lodima, a new silver chloride contact paper from Michael A. Smith.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:49 PM
Friend

Like the other aspects of LF, I'm just making a start with contact printing. I have a 5x4 enlarger, but for the time being am happy making contact prints. Nothing clever, so far I've used my Durst 35mm enlarger as a light source and 5x7 gloss RC paper to print on.

Hopefully I've attached my first bash at this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YashicaMAT Gr2 print.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	46  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies