Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th November 2010, 11:46 AM
Friend

Default Is a Stop Bath really necessary?

Many years ago I gave up using stop baths, firstly because there wasn't room for one on a small kitchen draining board in East Finchley after the children had gone to bed, and a secondary benefit is that it saves time.
It seemed to me that my fixer might not last as long (I pour it back into storage bottles at the end of each session and test activity on a piece of gash film before starting next time, renew when clearing gets to 30 seconds) but I could cope with that. And fixer should stop development as well if not better than a stop bath, I thought.
Two houses later I have my own darkroom in the cellar, but have found no reason to change my method.
I use only RC - don't know if that makes a difference. Nor can I tell you if I get through a lot more fixer than I would if I used a stop bath.
Any other heretics like me?
Richard
Old 13th November 2010, 12:04 PM
Friend

I gave up stop bath for film some time ago without apparent ill effects but continue to use it for prints. As I have a Nova slotty thing then it may as well be filled with stop as with water.

It is very cheap to use and does make fixer last longer.

Mike
Old 13th November 2010, 12:05 PM
Friend

One here.
Old 13th November 2010, 12:17 PM
Friend

I have missed out using stop or water and just poured the fix in without any ill affects by mistake.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th November 2010, 02:31 PM
Friend

I use just plain water for film but use a very weak stop bath when printing, this is then totally discarded after the session.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 13th November 2010, 04:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I have missed out using stop or water and just poured the fix in without any ill affects by mistake.
That's what I do if I don't intend to keep the fix any longer. Usually I just use water.

Steve.
Old 13th November 2010, 06:44 PM
Friend

Why use water?
Old 13th November 2010, 07:03 PM
Friend

I use a weak stop bath when printing, but not having any wouldn't stop me, I'd just use water. If you use water in a developing dish, I'd suggest you change it before many prints have been through it to avoid carrying over developer into the fixer.
If you happen to print a lot of pictures in a session stop bath will avoid fixer being prematurely exhausted by contamination with developer. No point in allowing prints to be spoilt by being underfixed. Underfixing isn't always immediately obvious. Equally important is to wash your prints properly after fixing, particularly if you use fibre based paper any time.
Old 13th November 2010, 07:12 PM
Friend

I use water rinses for film.
For paper I use yesterdays fix with a dollop of acetic acid, aka non brewed condiment in catering size containers.
This has some residual fixing strength which means I can switch the light on to examine test strips.
Old 13th November 2010, 10:09 PM
Friend

I use a water rinse for film as I use a staining developer. For prints its a commercial acetic acid stop bath. On the rare occasions I use an amidol developer I use a citric acid stop bath. I tend to throw away the acetic bath after 3 printing sessions even if the indicator has not changed colour. The citric acid bath is disposed of after each printing session.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies