Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th March 2011, 07:37 PM
Friend

If you print to standard sizes it may be better to buy your matts ready cut.
Old 26th March 2011, 07:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Thanks, at least you've given me some options to consider including "Trevor's" Longridge brand.

Really like the idea by "Argentum" about "And if your cut windows are big enough then you can use what is cut out for matting smaller prints so you need to think it through."

My aim to produce about 10-15 matted prints a week most of them fairly small from tiny 7x5, 10x8 or mostly 12x9.5 papers so overall no bigger than a max of 16x12. Very rare to print anything bigger than 14x11.
Bear in mind that what is cut out has bevelled edges which need to be trimmed off. My experience is that the best laid plans don't always work out. You either cut mount boards to fit standard off the shelf frames so you can get frames cheaply or you cut custom sizes to suit the image. The latter usually results in a superior finished article because you crop your print to suit the subject and then cut the mat to suit the image size and that gives the best balanced result. But at the cost of throwing out all your pre-planned mount cutting sizes and having to get custom size frames made. This is why sometimes it makes sense to buy the more expensive smaller board sizes as there can be less wastage overall.
The former is the most cost effective but you end up cropping your print to some pre-determined window size which is frequently not quite as optimum as you might like but save you a little money in saved wastage if you manage to use all of the full sized board with little wastage.
Old 26th March 2011, 07:42 PM
Friend

I use one made by FrameCo which is very good. It is an Australian make and can be seen at http://www.clubframeco.com/store/index.php
There is a UK shop in Aylesbury, Tel. 020 8144 1658, email, frame.uk@clubframeco.com
There are some on ebay which came up on a Google search, but it is worth getting a catalogue from the Aylesbury man; there are lots of assessories.

Tony
Old 26th March 2011, 09:03 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks, at least you've given me some options to consider including "Trevor's" Longridge brand.

Really like the idea by "Argentum" about "And if your cut windows are big enough then you can use what is cut out for matting smaller prints so you need to think it through."

My aim to produce about 10-15 matted prints a week most of them fairly small from tiny 7x5, 10x8 or mostly 12x9.5 papers so overall no bigger than a max of 16x12. Very rare to print anything bigger than 14x11.
Larry, at 10 to 15 matted prints per week then the Maped system would suit you, another suggestion would be the widely available Jaker mount cutting system, very reasonable, blades easily available from most craft shops,you get a mount cutter and a special ruler which it clips on to, similer to the Maped system, I could cut 15 mats in around an hour, Richard
Old 27th March 2011, 07:50 AM
Friend

I have the same Logan model as Dave, and it's fine for the number of mats I cut.
Old 27th March 2011, 11:16 AM
Friend

Hi and good morning,

Many thanks to all who responded. The Logan brand seems to have a strong following here and will take a fresh look at it again. When I've made my decision, I'll let you all know what happens.

Cheers everyone for your constructive suggestions.
Old 27th March 2011, 11:47 AM
Friend

Just looked on Amazon and they have the Logan 301s about £100 and I took another look at the youtube demo video and it does look like it should meet me needs.

I do have a 2 other questions we are; what sort of mountboard do you suggest and what type of adhesive tape should one use that doesn't cause issues with the backing of RC paper.

Many thanks.
Old 27th March 2011, 01:22 PM
Friend

Larry, I standardise all my mounts using Conservation board which I purchase from Silverprint along with self-adhesive linen tape for hinging the boards. Photographs are secured using self-adhesive photo-corners.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 27th March 2011, 01:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Just looked on Amazon and they have the Logan 301s about £100 and I took another look at the youtube demo video and it does look like it should meet me needs.

I do have a 2 other questions we are; what sort of mountboard do you suggest and what type of adhesive tape should one use that doesn't cause issues with the backing of RC paper.

Many thanks.
Larry,
I use acid free mounting board which I buy locally from a craft/paper shop and which comes in large boards, and I cut it down to the size I need, usually 16/20 and I get 2 boards per sheet,at £2.75 p over here,
Richard
Old 27th March 2011, 02:38 PM
Friend

I have been a professional framer for nearly thirty years and so feel able to offer some advice here

Probably all of the cutters mentioned would produce perfectly acceptable results with a little practice for small scale mount production. It is largely a matter of preference and perseverance.

Conservation mountboard should be your minimum choice if archival concerns are important, with museum (pure cotton) boards offering the ultimate protection.

Trevor is right to suggest mounting corners to hold prints, they should not be too tight to allow the print to expand and contract. Unfortunately I must disagree with Trevor regarding self adhesive tape to hinge the boards together. These tapes will remain sticky and attract all sorts of muck. Better to us a gummed tape that will dry permanently.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies