Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th February 2014, 12:53 PM
Friend

Default 6x6 slide mounting.

I want to try mounting some 6x6 slides for projection. Is it easy? Will I need any special equipment? Are glass mounts better for projection? I have never tried this before, but have acquired a suitable projector and would like to give it a go. Any advice appreciated.
Alex
Old 6th February 2014, 01:03 PM
Friend

I believe that Gepe make mounts for 6x6 slides, I have in the past mounted them, and on a light box it was releativy easy, and for projection I suggest glass mounts for this size slide as it stops them popping
Richard
Old 6th February 2014, 01:17 PM
Friend

Yeah, like Richard says I'd expect 6x6 slides to pop quite badly, so go for glass mounts. BUT I read that glass mounts are more prone to condensation and mould growth, so don't leave the slides in long term.
Old 6th February 2014, 02:08 PM
Friend

Popping of transparencies in card mounts is partly overcome in autofocus projectors but glass is preferred.
Richard and Dave are right to highlight problems of mould growth and condensation. The stabiliser step in processes E2, E3 and E4 was effective in inhibiting mould growth in transparencies if they were mounted in glass soon after processing (the formaldehyde preservative otherwise evaporates over time). But I nonetheless have glass-mounted transparencies from the 1970s with tell-tale fungal threads, growing from the edges.
Formalin was omitted from E6 stabiliser fifteen or twenty years ago. I don't know if a different preservative was substituted.
If condensation appears in glass mounts, just put the slide in a warm place (on top of a radiator?) for a day or two.
Old 6th February 2014, 02:31 PM
Friend

The E6 kits I've used in recent years (Fuji Hunt and Tetenal 3-bath) still use a formaldehyde stabiliser I think, if I'm remembering right.
Old 6th February 2014, 05:17 PM
Friend

Thanks for the replies. I will go for glass mounts. There are some 645 mounts coming with it. I should be able to use them as I can do either 6x6 or 6x4.5 in the Bronica. I noticed that Firstcall stock 6x6 with glass. Their prices for new stock seemed quite good compared to used stuff on eBay.
Alex
Old 7th February 2014, 10:35 PM
Friend

Alex - if you want I could send you half a dozen, plastic, clip together glassless 4.5 x 6 slide mounts for you to have a play with.

Ian
Old 8th February 2014, 02:13 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian. That's a very generous offer. I will PM you my details.
Alex
Old 11th February 2014, 09:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
Alex - if you want I could send you half a dozen, plastic, clip together glassless 4.5 x 6 slide mounts for you to have a play with.

Ian
Many thanks to Ian for the mounts which arrived today. The projector has also arrived and I should be operational by the weekend. Looking forward to something different.
Alex
Old 12th February 2014, 07:17 PM
Friend

Hi Alex, hope they are of some use. Please let us know how it all goes. As you know I am on the brink of MF slides myself ( have been for a while really, just need to get going ). I would be most interested to hear how it goes.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies