Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th July 2014, 11:23 PM
Friend

Default Lightmeter query

I have bought an inexpensive Yashica 24 as a first foray into MF. I think I probably need to acquire and learn how to use a handheld lightmeter. Any advice as to what I should get? Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:25 PM
Friend

Jake, it might help if you can tell us what your budget is. No good us recommending, say, a Pentax spotmeter if you budget gets nowhere near what is needed to buy one.

Mike
Old 8th July 2014, 10:37 PM
Friend

Refelected or Incident type?

What is your intended subject matter? Largely landscape or largely people/portraits or largely some other type of subject matter?

Is it for studio work? Do you need to be able to meter flash ?

These are important considerations.

Last edited by Argentum; 8th July 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:05 PM
Friend

I recently bought a Seckonic L 308s to use with my Rolleicord. It's really good. Small, lightweight and does reflected and incident readings. Costs anything from £100 to £170+ depending on where you shop. Takes a common type of battery, and can do flash readings. Perfect if you don't need a spot meter.
Another useful option is one of the light meter Apps for iPhone, or some other smart phones. Costs very little and is surprisingly accurate. Although they don't have a very narrow reading angle, you can see on the screen the actual metered area which is very useful.
Alex.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:33 PM
Friend

I was going to suggest the L308s too but only if the usage was for people/portrait/studio.
For landscape I personally would go for a spot meter albeit harder to master than an incident meter.
Old 9th July 2014, 01:54 PM
Friend

Sorry, I should have given more information in my OP.
Budget is up to £100. I prefer analogue to digital.
I will mainly be shooting outdoors but I'd like to be able to use it inside as well if possible. I rarely use flash. Thanks for your replies.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:01 PM
Friend

There aren't too many analogue meters around now (if you want to buy new). There is the Seckonic Twinmate which is very small. I was considering it, but opted for the L308s as it has a better low light range, and is generally better specified. The functions and range of the 308 are very similar to the Gossen Digipro F, which is another good all round meter. The 308 is smaller and lighter. There are plenty of used analogue models. Many people swear by the Westons. I had to buy 4 before I got a working example. If you fancy one of them, I would try to get it from a recognised dealer to have some assurance of accuracy. The Gossen Lunasix 3 is good, but uses mercury batteries which are obsolete. You can have it converted, however, to use silver oxide cells. The manufacturer did it at one time, and The Small Battery Company also offer converters. It might also be worth looking at the Jessops or Leningrad analogue models. They appear regularly on the auction site and are cheap to buy. I don't know what type of batteries they use, but I believe both ranges were quite well regarded when available new. For what it's worth, I have been very impressed with the two digital models I own, and now prefer them to analogue models I have owned or used.
Alex
Old 9th July 2014, 04:26 PM
Friend

I'd recommend a 2nd hand Gossen Lunasix f. Look it up and see what you think...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 12th July 2014, 09:37 AM
Friend

I too would second buying a Seckonic L 308s as your meter for starting out with MF.

As stated it can do both reflected and incident readings and if required flash as well.

Had mine for a good number of years and has never let me down. A good investment.

Terry S
Old 12th July 2014, 12:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakecb View Post
I have bought an inexpensive Yashica 24 as a first foray into MF. I think I probably need to acquire and learn how to use a handheld lightmeter. Any advice as to what I should get? Thanks
Have you got a smart phone? There is a fine app called Light Meter to make an iPhone into a serviceable exposure meter. It's free...

richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies