Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU YEARBOOK 2014

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2014, 04:35 PM
Friend

Good to hear from you Les, hope you and your wife are keeping well. If you do become involved I reckon you would be the ideal person to sort out the book.

Tony
Old 25th August 2014, 04:49 PM
Friend

Just re-read the thread and I think I've muddied the waters a bit with my suggestion, so apologies to Ian for jumping in. Back to the yearbook.....

Tony
Old 25th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Friend

No need to apologise. At this stage I think the more ideas and the more members that offer those ideas the merrier.

A book is a book, and collaboration is collaboration.

Whats in a name ?

Ian
Old 25th August 2014, 08:31 PM
Friend

Only my opinion, but to me a yearbook ends up being a 'greatest hits' and I was interested in trying a different approach by working on a theme or subject for a length of time in collaboration with others to see how we interpret and work it through. More project based than one off shots. As I said before, maybe not for this thread, but thanks anyway.

Tony
Old 26th August 2014, 12:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
An exhibition is a massive undertaking which I suspect very few people would have either the inclination or the time to take on.

Ian
Tell me about it ...

On the other hand, if you want to do one in Texas, I'm your man.

And Mr McLean - careful what you ask for!
Old 26th August 2014, 07:15 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMiller View Post
Only my opinion, but to me a yearbook ends up being a 'greatest hits' and I was interested in trying a different approach by working on a theme or subject for a length of time in collaboration with others to see how we interpret and work it through. More project based than one off shots. As I said before, maybe not for this thread, but thanks anyway.
I would just discuss the idea within this thread for the time being and see where it leads.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 26th August 2014, 07:35 AM
Friend

I like the idea of FADU producing a book or even books, and I like the idea of a collaboration within FADU leading to new work being aired in book form. Exhibitions too...
A yearbook is the most straightforward, though, and if Les is offering to lead then we shouldn't give him any time to think about it and should bite his hand off.
But Les will need a lot of support so perhaps some sort of team should be formed to see if the thing can be done... and then do it.
Old 26th August 2014, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately neither Bob or I have enough free time to take on a book at present. If Les is willing to take up the challenge I would like to encourage him as I think it is a great idea and would support it as much as I can whatever format is chosen.
Old 26th August 2014, 04:19 PM
Friend

O.K so here goes my tuppence worth (again).

If we need to put together a team to look into the viability of a book, thrash ideas around, and come up with a plan. Then I think that maybe we should just call it a book and enter into the first stage with no preconcieved ideas and just see where the discussions take us.

If this is to get off the ground we need people to make up the ideas team. So guess as I started it all you'd better count me in. ( oh blimey mother what have I done )

Ian
Old 26th August 2014, 04:50 PM
Friend

Seeing this is FADU I think we ought to do any selection of images from actual prints - rather than on line digitally. On line digitally can come later for publicity and promotional purposes.

The skill in what we do is only completed when the finished print has been made so we should ensure a print was in fact made.

With viewing scanned prints (or allegedly scanned prints) for selection the files seldom look as good as a the real work and of course the files may have been worked on in PS.

To achieve this of course it would mean moving prints around the country to the selector or selectors. But maybe this could be made easier by adopting the method Roger Maile's used to create his successful 'Best of Friends' Year Books ?

Roger Maile only required well crafted images, un-mounted, with a max size 10x8 to be sent to him for selection, and if they were selected he scanned them for publication. The advantages of this are less cost to produce and to post and you will get much more interest and entries for what you are proposing.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies