Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Negative Printing Exchange

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th December 2021, 04:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
I have a question: Have you thought that everybody keeps the print in the second envelope and only send back their own? Or should I sent back both for you having a comparison? I am not sure about this.

Uwe.
I am making two prints (at least) Uwe.

Then I can keep the one in the envelope and a copy of my print made from the negative. I will then send a copy of my print and the negatives back to the original sender, whom I presume has also made a copy for themselves to keep for comparison?

I think that is how it was done in previous round(s) that I did. Or have I got it totally wrong?

Oh, and Uwe, DON'T put your version in the gallery until the sender has received a copy of your print, otherwise there will be no surprise for them!!

Terry S
Old 16th December 2021, 04:56 PM
Friend

> otherwise there will be no surprise for them!!

Very important note, thank you. So I will keep your print. It is alway a joy looking at other's b/w photographs. In real, not in the computer.
Old 16th December 2021, 07:28 PM
Friend

I just came from the darkroom.

I decided to give away everything from the test strips to the two prints I made.

At the back of everything I wrote the printing plan. Because this cannot be understood without explanation, and because I don't have the notes anymore, if I sent all out, I write something here.

First, I decided printing all of the negative, no clipping. I uses Multigrade IV paper which is the most flexible I have. And the one I know best. I developed in Adotol konstant, which is the same recipe as Calbe N113, which I used in the eighties.

First I guessed the contrast. I choose 45% Magenta (Durst) =M45 for the test strip, and I stayed with that in principle. Normally, I used third of a sheet for test strip. Because the negative has two regions with different exposition, I cut it in halves. I made 6, 8, 10, 13 seconds for the shore and 10, 13, 16 seconds for the sky. I knew in advance that I would have to emphasize the sky. SO I gave halve the sky strip addition 4 seconds without filter (M+-0)

I decided to stay with that M45 / M+-0 combination. First I printed from to (shore) to bottom (sky) with M45 and 7 - 9 - 16 seconds and gave the left corner of the sky additional 4 second M+-0.

This is the first print, marked #1.

I found the left corner of the sky too bright, which retracts the view form the center of the print.

The second print is similar, but I treated the corner different. I gave 5 additional seconds M45 and then additional 6 seconds M+-0. This looked good.

I made I third print where I tried to split the regions in that left sky corner. This did not work and I don't send that print to you.

If Colin agrees I would put his print in the gallery, but not mine. So you may learn more form this explanation.

I hope the print will reach you well before christmas.
--
Uwe.
Old 16th December 2021, 08:48 PM
Friend

Good Evening everyone.

First, an apology for my explanation of how I thought the exchange would run as I've left some parts not clear enough.
I imagined that each of us would send our partner a negative along with our own version of it.
Our print partner would then have a print of ours to compare with their own.
I planned that they would keep our print when returning our negative, rather like a print exchange.
We would each receive back our own negative, accompanied by a print made from it by our exchange partner.

I made a couple of prints from my negative, so I still have a copy which I will be able to view alongside Uwe's version when it comes.

Of course, it's our own exchange to run as we want, so things can change and evolve as we would like. Uwe, I will ask the mods to open a gallery for this round and if you are ready you can post to it. I'll add your version as soon as I receive it. I couldn't quite remember how we posted last time, but this way images will appear gradually rather than in all at once at the end of the exchange. It will help keep the thread alive. I'm looking forward to seeing your print.
Colin
Old 17th December 2021, 11:15 AM
Administrator

The gallery for Round 6 is now open. I also opened one for Round 5 for completeness sake but have disabled uploads to that gallery to avoid any potential confusion.

I'm a bit late again myself but will be posting mine once finished later today - I just need to make a final print and package everything up.
Old 17th December 2021, 01:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
I made a couple of prints from my negative, so I still have a copy which I will be able to view alongside Uwe's version when it comes.
Colin
Personally, I think it would be better if the sender of negatives, scanned and uploaded the two prints together, when they receive a print back. I say this as it would be harder to compare two different prints directly, if they are uploaded separately and so end up on two different web pages.

If you look at the previous negative exchanges you will see what I mean, where this was done to completion in 3 out of the 4 rounds:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ry.php/cat/590

I do like the continued idea of the prints being uploaded as and when though, just like the print exchanges, rather than all together in one go.

Terry S
Old 17th December 2021, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I am happy to say that I have just posted mine this afternoon. It should arrive midweek. I’m working from a temporary darkroom in my office. It works, but I’m not keen on staying too late after the office closes. Time is limited to about 90 mins per session, but ok if I’m focused on making a print from a single negative.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And received in perfect condition earlier today - the Post Office a bit slow atm it seems.

I've had a quick look at the neg and it looks a really interesting subject so I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what I can do with my printing!

Cheers, Bob.
Old 17th December 2021, 04:34 PM
Friend

Dear Colin, my prints and your negatives are on it's way back to Scotland. Enjoy!
Old 17th December 2021, 04:36 PM
Friend

I’m glad it arrived safely, Bob. I look forward to seeing how you print it.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17th December 2021, 05:23 PM
Friend

Thanks Bob.

I think I saw a recent post from you about having a new darkroom set-up (but with my memory these days that could be wrong). I hope it's proving good to work in. Even though I thought I'd planned mine pretty carefully I've already spotted a couple of things which I could have done better. Still, it's the best working space I've ever had so very much enjoying it.

Terry- how to post the images? I can see both arguments. Putting up both versions at the same time is attractive, but here Uwe is somewhat ahead of the game and keen to discuss his approach.

Uwe- if you would like to, then post my print. I have a scan of the straight , unmanipulated version which I'll happily put up as a reference so viewers can see what you're describing.

Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies