Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th December 2021, 10:53 PM
Friend

Default merry Christmas and what is Santa bringing you

Merry Christmas to all on FADU and all your family's . well what will Santa be slipping in to your Christmas stocking this year, socks and pants don't count ,its got to be photography related .I am getting some Fuji instax wide and a four lens passport camera and a Bowens ring flash and power pack ,so I am looking forward to driving the wife , or the dogs mad on Christmas day ,I have to practise on somebody .

have a great one ..
Old 17th December 2021, 07:35 AM
Friend

Default Christmas Presents

The boss and I have decided we can do without presents for one year and have opted to gift what we would have spent on a chosen charity. The British Heart foundation and Great North Air Ambulance will benefit. Good luck to them.
Old 17th December 2021, 01:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
The boss and I have decided we can do without presents for one year and have opted to gift what we would have spent on a chosen charity. The British Heart foundation and Great North Air Ambulance will benefit. Good luck to them.
I haven't gone the whole hog (yet) John, but over the years, I have given money, mostly to Oxfam, instead of one of the presents for some people. This has been well received by the recipients, but I have been careful with whom I give a charity gift in their name. A lot of people still prefer a 'real present'. I therefore give a certain amount to various charities each year, which would have been spent on sadly passed family members.

Terry S
Old 17th December 2021, 01:55 PM
Friend

There is a way you can give to charity, and still get a present....Buy something from a charity shop. My wife came back from Malton the other day with a great Christmas present she got me from a Charity shop for £75. She gave me a quick look so I could tell her if she had done the right thing. It was a Pentax ME Super camera with 3 Pentax lenses, a 2X convertor, a Pentax flashgun, and a camera manual.
I'm not really up to speed on prices, but it seemed like a bargain to me. Apparently the lady in the Charity shop knew it was worth quite a bit more, but just wanted to sell it.

Alan
Old 17th December 2021, 08:30 PM
Friend

Nothing much this year for me. we decided not to but, like John above, to give what we would have spent to 2 local charities who helped me to recover as well as I have from my recent problems
Richard
Old 17th December 2021, 08:40 PM
Friend

I've just ordered another RB67 film magazine.

I'll wrap it up and my wife can give it to me on Christmas morning.

At least I will get one thing this year that I'll want.

Martin
Old 19th December 2021, 01:20 PM
Friend

Golf stuff for me
Have a good one everyone
Paddy
Old 19th December 2021, 02:18 PM
Friend

I have just seen an advert in a magazine what I covet very strongly. A Bronica SQ-A, complete, for a very reasonable price so I may get myself a 'special'. I have seen multiple images from the seller and it looks almost mint with hardly a blemish or any sort. I have not seen another for a while at this price and condition, they usually come in ay £200-£300. Wait a minute I have spotted some dust on top of the waist-level finder - disgusting. Just joking

I sold my last SQ back in 2005 and regretted it ever since. There is something about the square format, it is so flexible. Even extra lenses can be picked up reasonably priced, but the 80mm standard will do me quite well for the time being.

I have only to speak to my finance manager and get clearance of funds! Ah well it is Christmas.

Last edited by John King; 19th December 2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 20th December 2021, 06:33 PM
Friend

Get the most precious I can think of: time for my darkroom work.
Frank
Old 20th December 2021, 08:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
My late wife was under the Heart Failure nurses for seven years, well one in particular, so the collection at the funeral went to them and I added quite a bit more.

It's a hard balance who should fund research but Governments of any party have a hard choice. It's better to support the charities that have helped people we/you know. We can't support them all.

All I can add is two of my nieces work on cutting end research and one is NHS funded alongside her work as a trauma surgeon.

The answer is give when you can.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies