Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd September 2009, 01:51 PM
Friend

Default Velvia 50 in short supply

Have just received this email from the Fuji Pro people...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Fujifilm Online Shop customer,

Just to clarify the situation with the supply of Velvia 50 film in the UK. Many of you know that it has been in short supply for some months. I can confirm that fresh stocks of Velvia 50, in all popular formats, will be arriving with us from Japan in mid November. This includes:

35mm, 120, 5x4, 5x4 Quickload and 10x8 sizes

Unfortunately, we are now down to our last few rolls of 35mm, but still have reasonable stocks 120 5-packs. In addition we have a few boxes of 5x4 inch, dated June 09, which are on special offer.

We are sorry that there may be a period where Velvia 50 will not be available to purchase from Fujifilm UK directly (other than 120 size). However, some of the photo dealers around the country may still have some Velvia 50. Alternatively, may we suggest you try Velvia 100 or Velvia 100F in the meantime? The results are very similar and you'll gain the advantage of a doubling of film speed (handy in these darker months!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad I stocked up! can't fit any food in my fridge mind... need to lose some weight anyway

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
Alternatively, may we suggest you try Velvia 100 or Velvia 100F in the meantime? The results are very similar and you'll gain the advantage of a doubling of film speed (handy in these darker months!).
I tried Velvia 100F and didn't like it at all, very contrasty and with a tendency to a strong magenta cast. And it was processed by Fuji UK so I don't think it was the processing! The Velvia 100 seemed OK though, but I still prefer 50 overall. Thanks for the info anyway, I have only a couple of rolls left ..

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 23rd September 2009, 03:59 PM
Friend

Whats the difference between 100 and 100F; apart from the F.
Old 23rd September 2009, 04:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Whats the difference between 100 and 100F; apart from the F.
In my experience, the F version is as I said above too contrasty and has an odd colour rendition. It's supposed to be the "Fine grain" version I think. But the standard 100 is IMHO the better choice if 50 is not available.

Old 24th September 2009, 08:39 AM
Friend

Mathers have some 135/36 Velvia dated 06/09 to clear at £4.50 a roll:
http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/page22.html

Old 24th September 2009, 09:08 AM
Friend

Being a relative newcomer to LF I bought all my start up gear on a budget including some Velvia 100 on special offer at Robert White. It wasn't until I began comparing my transparencies with another photographers Velvia 50 and Provia that I realised how very magenta it was. I'm so glad that I now have only a couple of sheets left!

Paul

Arena Photographers
Old 24th September 2009, 09:34 AM
Friend

I have just ordered some Velvia 50, Velvia 100 and Velvia 100F as well as some Kodak to do some comparisons this Autumn, when I looked into the difference between 100 and 100F I read the 100F was the pro version, which was supposed to be more consistent per batch, but interestingly the posts I read said the 100 was better for general use (and a closer match to the 50). It was suggested the 100F was tested first then used, meaning it was best to buy in bulk from one batch and use after tests to suit the project. And they all had pluses and minus's depending on subject, so I thought I would see for myself.

Sadly I have to wait for some of the films as they are out of stock, the Fuji Velvia 100F, Kodak Ektachrome E100G and Kodak Ektachrome E200 are all on back order.

Neil
Old 14th August 2010, 09:40 AM
Friend

I just used quite a few rolls of Velvia 100F. I felt the same way as Richard - very contrasty and with a strong reddish cast - especially on skin colour.
Over exposed to 2/3 to 1 stop removes the colour cast.
I took some shots of inside a church. f2/10 or 15 secs. Those came out beautiful though.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies