Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd August 2012, 08:01 AM
Friend

Fomabrom Variant Gives good neutral tones and goes quite chilly when toned in gold toner. Keep an eye on it if gold toning as the colour quickly shifts to blue. You could also give Kentmere Fine Print VC a try.
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:35 AM
Friend

Thanks everyone. Plenty of things to try here. I feel a big web-order coming on!
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Hello Trevor, Thanks for the recommendation. I have considered trying that paper in the past but could only find 8 x 10 sheets in boxes of 100 and didn't want to be lumbered if I found it wasn't to my taste. Maybe I should rethink.

Have you tried Adox MCC (or the older Agfa version)? If so, how would you rate it in warmness next to the Fineprint?
Ag do a trail pack at sensible money - http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fin...pack-706-p.asp

I tried it and liked it

However, for now I have decided to stick with MGFB Matt and concentrate on taking photographs rather than messing around with trying out film/paper/dev combos

Martin
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Ag do a trail pack at sensible money
Thanks Martin I'd missed that offer.
Quote:
However, for now I have decided to stick with MGFB Matt and concentrate on taking photographs rather than messing around with trying out film/paper/dev combos
I'm trying to standardise too. Got the camera, lens, film and developer sorted; just fine tuning the prints. Hopefully it won't take long!
Old 3rd August 2012, 07:02 PM
Friend

MCC is about as good as it gets for neutral(ish) prints to my eye. I like to mix Eukobrom with Ilford MC developer to get less green prints. Straight Eukobrom is a touch cold, so mixing them seems to work better to my eye. Very unscientific, I know!
Old 4th August 2012, 08:12 AM
Friend

I would agree with Tom, MCC 110 stays neutral with most developers. My preference is Ilford PQ or Agfa NE.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 4th August 2012, 08:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
MCC is about as good as it gets for neutral(ish) prints to my eye.
As I like this paper so much myself I think I'll stick with it and maybe try some different developers to fine-tune the tone.
Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Cheers,
Michael.
Old 5th August 2012, 02:38 PM
Friend

Also if a print is going to be framed, the glass will tint it a slight green/blue.
This used to really bug me, watching a warm tone print take on a cooler look.
Richard

Tags
adox mcc, neutral, neutral tone, print tone, warmtone
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies