Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th April 2021, 07:22 PM
Friend

Default Understanding Paterson Enlarger

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and also relatively new to photography and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I recently bought a Paterson B&W 35mm Enlarger online, and it arrived without any instructions (can't find any online either). I have assembled it using common sense but am slightly confused. The lens fits at the bottom ok, but there seems to be another larger convex lens that I'm not sure where to put.

I understand there are two types of enlarger, but I don't even know which of condenser or diffuser my enlarger is, seeing as there is only one of these large lenses. Perhaps there is one missing and this would constitute the condenser part of the enlarger (if there was another one I'm not sure they would fit)?

So I'm wondering where to put this large lens, which comes with a plastic ring to put it in, and a metal wire ring to hold it in place. I hope my explanations are clear enough for someone to help.

A point in the right direction would be great - a link to a manual or instructions or something, since I bought this second hand it came with no instructions.

I have attached a photo of the lens with accessories:
Click image for larger version

Name:	169121913_752500055655519_3376214928598865512_n.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	4139
and of the enlarger itself:
Click image for larger version

Name:	168066244_478642296609431_4588044840568730732_n.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	4140

Thanks
Theo
Old 6th April 2021, 07:05 AM
Friend

I can't help with a manual, but that's a condenser enlarger.

The spare lens and retainer should be fitted as they will be used to even out the light coming from the lamp.

You should find space to have both condenser lenses fitted with the convex faces facing each other and the flat faces looking at the lamp and lens respectively.

Paterson are still in business, so it might be worth giving them a call for a manual or diagram.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Mike
Old 6th April 2021, 07:21 AM
Friend

If the 'spare'lens seems larger it may simply not fit the holder and may be not from that enlarger. There were some enlargers that only ever had one condenser, not many I grant but it may be one of them.

The best people to speak to will probably be Second Hand Darkroom which at present is closed for a premises move. He may even have a spare condenser that would fit.
Old 6th April 2021, 07:45 AM
Friend

The convex lens is a condenser, which shpuld fit above the enlagging lens, between the bulb and the negative carrier, a lot of enlargers used for black and white enlargers use condenser's
Richard
Old 6th April 2021, 08:38 AM
Friend

Theo, this link could be a copy of the instructions, worth having anyway even if it doesn't address your specific issue.
Old 6th April 2021, 09:38 AM
Friend

Thanks, I've gathered from looking online that condensers have two lenses facing away from each other. However there is only one of these lenses, so perhaps, as others say it is a rare example of a single lens condenser enlarger.
Otherwise I'm not sure a second reflex lens would fit. Nor why they didn't include one in the package.
Thanks for the link to that manual, think it's wise to get that.
I will have a play around and hopefully it will work.
Thanks everyone for the advice,
Theo

Last edited by theobrown; 6th April 2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: something to add
Old 6th April 2021, 10:27 AM
Friend

It look like a early Patterson enlarger, possibly from the 60's, and very many enlarger's from that period have just the 1 condenser, does your condenser a flat surface one side and convex the other,? if so that would indicate that it is part of a pair, if it it convex on both sides that indicates a single condenser, diffuser enlargers are normally for colour, or MG enlargers with the built in filters,
Richard
Old 7th April 2021, 04:52 PM
Friend

Richard
It seems like the enlarger just has the one condenser. The lens has one flat side and one convex side. The buyer sent me an online pdf of the manual and I've managed to assemble it. The only way the condenser fits (and makes sense from things I've found online) is to put the condenser lens curved side upwards, and this has correctly projected the negative, so all seems well.
I'm waiting for my paper to arrive, then I will develop some prints and let you know how they come out. Very excited.
Theo
Old 7th April 2021, 06:35 PM
Friend

Hi Theo, just noticed you are up the road from me (Purleigh)so if I can help in any way let me know.
Old 10th April 2021, 10:09 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
Hi Theo, just noticed you are up the road from me (Purleigh)so if I can help in any way let me know.
Thanks Steve, that's kind of you, and good to know.
I did my first prints thursday night and they came out very well, very exciting.
Theo

Tags
darkroom, enlarger, lens
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies