Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2012, 12:22 PM
Friend

Default Adox Fine Print Vario Classic discontinued!!!!!!!

Not sure if this has been flagged up on this site but Adox Fine Print Vario Classic has been discontinued.

For me this is a tragedy as it is a fantastic paper at a price that I can afford.

The Adox website indicates that sales of FPVC were falling because printers are switching to MCC. Not only do I find that hard to believe but also MCC is absolutely no substitute for FPVC as it lacks the micro-contrast and is 25€ per 25 sheet 30 x 40cm pack dearer.

Or to put it another way 1€ PER SHEET dearer!!!! for, in my opinion and my way of working, an inferior result.

I understand that maintaining the very wide range of sizes could be a problem but why not keep the paper available in a few popular sizes (for example 30 x 40cm which can also be cut in half when printing 35mm negatives). Adox Fine Print Vario Classic Glossy is an outstanding product which should not be allowed to die.

How many people on this forum use FPVC and which sizes?

If there is really no way of maintaining availability of FPVC, I am sorry but I simply can't afford such a price and will have to switch to a more affordable equivalent product from Foma.

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 15th September 2012, 02:37 PM
Friend

Very sorry to hear this David.

As you've pointed out, there's probably no way of maintaining availability of FPVC in the long term but would it still be worthwhile stocking up at least while stocks last?

Alternatively, I hope you find a suitable alternative... that isn't on a discontinued list!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 15th September 2012, 03:53 PM
Friend

For a similar price to FPVC I have the option here in Berlin of either Kentmere Fineprint FBVC or Foma Variant III.

Anyone got in-depth experience of using these papers?

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de
Old 19th September 2012, 01:49 PM
Friend

Its frustrating when you lose a paper you love, but I personally find MCC far superior in a number of key areas, but sadly it is much more expensive.

I'll second Foma variant III as a cracking substitute.
Old 19th September 2012, 05:34 PM
Friend

Thanks for the feedback.

General consensus seems (mainly via e-mails) to be for Foma.

Before, I do my tests (in about 10 days) anyone else have opinions of the Kentmere?

Best,

David
www.dsallen.de
Old 20th September 2012, 05:18 AM
Friend

The Adox vario papers were coated by Efke so they are being discontinued due to the closing of Fotokemika. The Adox MCC and MCP papers are coated in Germany and will, thankfully, continue.

I really like MCC 110 but as already said, it's considerably more expensive, more than Ilford MGFB in fact.
Old 20th September 2012, 07:25 AM
Friend

MCC seems to be marginally cheaper than MGWT though. Being almost two stops faster can certainly be handy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
The Adox vario papers were coated by Efke so they are being discontinued due to the closing of Fotokemika. The Adox MCC and MCP papers are coated in Germany and will, thankfully, continue.

I really like MCC 110 but as already said, it's considerably more expensive, more than Ilford MGFB in fact.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies