Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd January 2013, 11:48 AM
Friend

Default Thoughts on Medium format rangefinders....

Well, your thoughts sought...
It's a gear question really, perhaps brought on by the new year. Which one?
I fancy carrying around a modern medium format rather than 35mm rangefinder so have been looking at 645 and 66 cameras. I already have a very old fuji G690, so am familiar with the concept, but this is way too big and heavy as a substitute for 35mm and gets little use. I prefer the old folders... but they have fixed lenses.
So I guess I'm looking at a Bronica 645 or mamiya 6 as I'd rather have some lens options, although these are a little limited with the Bronica it seems.
Which is the lightest, quickest and most pleasant to use and which is the more reliable?
All these type of cameras seem to be battery powered, if only there was a 645 version of the old G690... perhaps ther was ?
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:02 PM
Friend

I'va had the RF645 system and I have a Mamiya 7 system now. IMHO:

Reliability: Mamiya 7. The RF645 has some well known weaknesses in the film advance machanism.

Portability and convenience: RF645 (smaller, smaller lenses).

Handling: If you like the vertical format, the RF645 is much faster handling, especially lens changes (due to automatic light shield).

The Output: Mamiya 7. Those negs are definitely bigger and the lenses are as good or better.

Flexibility: More lens choices for the Mamiya 7.

Personally I would go for a Mamiya 7, not 6 as they are newer, more available and have more lenses. Most points I have made would hold true for both the 6 and 7.

My view? Mamiya 7 all the way.
Old 3rd January 2013, 12:12 PM
Friend

I have not used either the mamiya or Bronica, butI have used the folders a lot, and yes, they are fixed lens, but once you get used to using just one lens the freedom of not having a lot of gear to carry around is very liberating, you don't stop and think shall I use this lens or that, you just get the photo's, I carry just the camera, a few films and an exposure meter, and with some of my cameras a small seperate rangefinder, and I love it, I am so used to fixed lens cameras that the odd time I take my Bronica etr system I forget that I have lenses for it, and tend to use the one lens, so don't ignore the freedom and challenge of a fixed lens folder, I use them, or my fixed lens Rolleis for all subjects, after all, we have legs, and can walk towards and away from our chosen subjects,
Richard
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:44 PM
Friend

How about the Fuji 645Zi? I have not had one but the Fuji lenses are as good as any and you get an, albeit restricted, zoom facility with this camera. I believe a good condition one costs £450 to £500.
Regards,
Paul
Paul Enters
Old 3rd January 2013, 03:12 PM
Friend

Personally I use the 65mm on the Mamiya 7 most of the time, but when you need the others you may really need them. While one can use your legs a lot of the time, you can't if roads/buildings/obstructions are in the way. Besides, focal length affects the relationships between objects, which can be very important to the image.

The Mamiy 7 with 65mm probably takes care of 90% of what I do, but oddly enough the small jump to 50mm is sometimes critical. YMMV, but for a limited travel outfit, a three lens kit isn't so bad.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBJE View Post
How about the Fuji 645Zi? . I believe a good condition one costs £450 to £500.
Regards,
Paul
Paul Enters
I would second this suggestion, having wanted one for decades and then got one last year. It's one of my favourite cameras to use now.

Yes they have a small zoom, but if that's not your priority, they are a very simple camera to use, which give lovely big sharp negs! :-)

As for pricing, you should be able to get one a lot, lot, lot cheaper than Paul's quote if you keep your eyes peeled = I know that I did!

Terry S
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:07 PM
Friend

I have a few cameras in this sort of class, and would suggest Fuji or Mamiya as the most obvious choices. When you say modern, what features are you looking for?

I have a Fuji GA645 which is basically a 645 point and shoot, with auto exposure and AF, oh and auto film advance. It takes great shots, I should use it more ;-)

The Mamiya 7 is lovely, but maybe it's bigger size will be an issue? It doesn't have the collapsable 80mm like the Mamiya 6.

One other option which I think should be considered would be a Hasselblad XPan. It's a great camera, not too heavy but very solid, and has all the modern bells and whistles you could want, with a proper coupled rangefinder. Yes, it's 35mm, but when shooting panoramic it's using something around a 6*7 width of film.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:55 AM
Friend

I have a Mamiya 7ii with only the 80mm lens at present but hope to get a 65mm soon. This is a great camera to handle with very sharp results the meter is also excellent. I also have a shoulder bag in which I carry a Nikon F100 with 2 lenses and the Mamiya with the filters I may need and spare film all ready for quick use, I can comfortably carry this for a reasonable period of time and find it meets my out and about shooting needs. So for the medium format I would thoroughly recommend the Mamiya 7ii which will give all the lens option you could need.
regards
Richard
Old 4th January 2013, 10:27 AM
Friend

I have the Mamiya 7ii, Fuji GSW690 and the Fuji 645zi and all of them are wonderful camera's.
I bought the 6x9 & 6x7 to be alternatives to 4X5 and they work beautifully in this way especially when used on a tripod. The 645 I bought is my replacement for 35mm as I no longer use 35mm film and I'm delighted with the results.

However, it's about you...
I would say, if you're already finding your "very old fuji G690" a bit of a burden and you're serious about cutting down on weight and bulk then the choice is already made, it has to be the Fuji 645zi.
It's just like a compact point & shoot camera but very much a serious and professional tool that delivers quality results. You feel like you can blast away with 16 exposures a roll and you can easily make grain free 20x16 prints even from crops. I believe many wedding photographers used to use them for candids.

They're all "portable" but the Fuji 645zi is by far the most portable. I've just come back from OZ & NZ having shot 100 rolls and the lithium batteries last for ages. Mine only cost £250 which is also a damn sight cheaper than the other two!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 4th January 2013, 10:29 AM
Friend

I agree Mamiya 7II plus 80mm and 43mm have served me well. Lenses are very good, meet my needs perfectly, decent prices second-hand too.

http://graemestarkphotography.blogspot.com/
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies