Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th March 2009, 06:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
No! But fixer loves eating chrome bath outlets, and converting them to brass.

Chrome bath outlets. that must be an old bath Most now a days are plastic which is worse.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th March 2009, 07:32 PM
Friend

Both film and print chems for trad B&W film and prints, C41 and RA4 go down the drain with lots of water.

My usage rate is relatively low and other than one shot B&W and C41 chems, most of my B&W paper dev chems and RA4( haven't done any for yonks) dev chems is used by the replenishment system so mass throw-away is ltd.

When I was attending a B&W class at night school and there were about 20 of us using a darkroom, everything was poured down the drain at the end of each night, again with tons of water. I wouldn't have liked to have paid the college's water bill!

If it was OK for a college then I see no reason why my small amount should give the water company a problem.

Mike
Old 19th March 2009, 07:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I also took Paterson’s advice to mix all spent chemicals together in order to neutralise them, and then flush them down the drain.

I also corresponded with an Australian gentleman (Uncle Bill?) around the same time who told me that his favoured method was to tip them over his garden fence, at the dead of night, into his neighbour’s swimming pool, where he believed it helped to keep the water clear. Unfortunately my neighbour doesn’t have a swimming pool, so I shall continue tipping my musicale volumes of blended waste down the drain.
Whilst you are correct in your assertion Dave that mixing them all together neutralises the "mix" - indeed it is the methosd I use - it does nothing to remove the residual silver content. I read somewhere that someone contacted their local water authority and to be honest they were not too concerned given the amounts that were being disposed of in this manner by home printing enthusiasts. I think old veg oil and cooking oil causes them more problems.

Andrew
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies