Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th May 2014, 03:38 PM
Friend

Question CPA processor and 1510 film drum

Hi. I recently bought an excellent jobo CPA 2 processor (no lift) from a member on this site. I have now purchased a 1510 drum to process single 35mm films with the least use of chemistry and I have the extension rollers for the 15xx series tanks. My problem is that there are no location pips in the CPA's casing to accept the moveable rollers so that the tank is supported whilst processing. The 1520 tank fits without a problem on the locations points provided.
My question therefore is :- is it OK to run the processor with the 1510 drum unsupported just using the power of the magnet or do I need some other form of support whilst processing??

many thanks Russ:
Old 27th May 2014, 06:54 PM
Friend

There is something strange here unless the configuration of my CPE2 is different from the CPA 2. I too have both the 1510 and 1520 drums and both have exactly the same diameter so if your 1520 fits the location points so should the 1510. The only difference is the length of the drum so the location points need to be pushed closer to the driver magnet.

By location points I assume you mean the rollers which point inwards and are on a kind of milk-maid's neck brace.

The 1510 isn't meant to be connected to the magnet alone but must be supported by the milk-maid's brace.

Just have a good look at the platform the brace sits on and I am sure you will find it simply moves forward to support the shorter 1510 drum

Let us know what you find

Mike
Old 27th May 2014, 07:48 PM
Friend

Mike.
Thanks for the reply perhaps I did not explain it quite accurately..........on the plastic base of the CPA processor just below where the drum fits when connected to the processor magnet there are 3 sets of 2 short posts as part of the moulded plastic base which are used to locate the roller assembly for different sized drums. When using one set of these posts to locate the rollers the 1520 drum runs correctly with the rollers just below the red lid assembly ie. on the drum body. When the 1510 drum is fitted none of the location posts will position the rollers to support the drum in the correct position.
hope this is a little clearer Russ
Old 27th May 2014, 07:59 PM
Friend

Default Should read CPE 2

Hi all.

Sorry to confuse everybody but the processor is CPE 2 not CPA 2 as quoted in the previous threads.

Regards Russ
Old 27th May 2014, 09:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussKelly View Post
Hi all.

Sorry to confuse everybody but the processor is CPE 2 not CPA 2 as quoted in the previous threads.

Regards Russ
So it's the same as mine Russ so I am still puzzled as to why the rollers cannot be pushed forward to accommodate the shorter drum.

I have only one set of rollers but you have more? Can each set be removed? If so I'd take them off and then try moving the set that is OK for the 1520 drum nearer the driver magnet to support the 1510 drum.

In my CPE2 I do have another set of rollers where the rollers point outwards to accommodate bigger print drums but all sets of rollers are moveable along the "runway" to get the rollers to support the drums in the right spot.

Mike
Old 28th May 2014, 07:31 AM
Friend

Default Cpe.

Mike.
It would appear my CPE is the earlier version and does not have a "runway" to locate the rollers, the roller assembly is located on small moulded posts on the base and there are no posts close enough to the rotary magnet to accommodate a 1510 drum.
Russ
Old 28th May 2014, 01:02 PM
Friend

I am surprised that the original CPE appears to have a major design flaw of not being able to cope with the 1510 tank I had always thought the 1510 tank was designed for the earliest CPE. It begs the question of how were users supposed to do single 135 film?

Can anyone else help here? If you are right Russ then the only work-around I can think of is using the 1520 tank but placing a second empty 135 reel in the central tube to stop the other reel moving but this is so Heath-Robinson and amateurish that I still have difficulty believing that there isn't a way of using the 1510 tank.

Second solution is the one I had recommended not using, namely relying on the magnet alone but frankly I just don't like the sound of this. When the drum is spinning it must be a lot of strain on the magnets and potentially the drive itself if there is no support.

HELP ! Anyone to the rescue

Mike
Old 30th May 2014, 12:29 AM
Friend

Hi Russ,

Just found your question.

My CPE 2s have two sections of momorail rising up beneath the drums in their rotating position. These are about 10 mm wide, 4.8 mm tall and 130 mm long, onto these one “pops” the roller carriages which have an oblong cutout to fit.

There is basically one roller carriage base, this base carries the rollers for the wide drums and you can also fit angled extension arms which bring the rollers inwards to a narrower gauge for the narrow drums. Mine are older white rollers.

I bought from CatLabs spare rollers of the new black type. I had to pop the rollers out one set of extension arms and fit them directly into to base for the wider drums.

The guy I dealt with at CatLabs is Omer, you could see if he still has roller sets available.

Regards
Rob
Old 30th May 2014, 08:55 AM
Friend

Default Cpe2

Rob.
Thanks for the reply. As I have tried to explain my processor has no rail or rails moulded into the base ( the roller assembly does have the rectangular cutaway though) but has sets of small moulded plastic posts in the base in set positions for the roller assembly to locate in ( the roller assembly has corresponding holes which locate the rollers with a gentle push) ). Unfortunately there is no set of posts close enough to the rotating magnet to support a 1510 tank in the correct position.
However I have now found that if I position the roller assembly close to the rotating magnet but not actually located by anything and therefore not rigidly held I can infact use the 1510 tank and the rollers do support the tank in the correct position.I will process a film this weekend and report any success.

Russ
Old 30th May 2014, 01:00 PM
Friend

Russ I saw a CPE original model on e-bay last night and as you have patiently tried to explain to Rob and I, it has a different configuration to the CPE -2 or Plus. My model and Rob's are the same but are different from yours.

Anyway I asked the question of the seller i.e. had she been able to support the 1510 tank? Unfortunately she is selling the CPE for her , I assume, late father-in-law so has never used it and knows very little about it

However she says she measured the distance from the nearest support holes to the magnetic drive and says this is 10cm or 100mm

I have just measured how far the rollers can afford to be from the drive and make this to be about 55mm so sadly, Russ, you are quite correct the 1510 cannot be supported.

I can only assume that the 1510 tank came after the CPE.

I hope that what you try will work. If it is any help she, the seller, also says that the rollers can be moved so this sort of reinforces what you have discovered

We'd be interested in your trial as it's a very important issue for those buying an original CPE. You have discovered an issue that I think few if any buyers are aware of. In none of the threads on APUG is there any mention I can find of this "snag" with the original CPE

Here's hoping it works

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies