Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th February 2015, 12:19 AM
Friend

Default solarization and other techniques

hi, I still havnt got round to making my first prints yet, but hope to soon. As an experimentalist if i can call myself that, i hope to try out some solarization techniques on portraits and other appropriate images, I also would like to try exposing some photos through water, or netting, at an angle etc..

..has anyone done much solarization? or used any interesting way of exposing/developing images in an experimental way within the confines of a standard process.

are there other techniques i may be missing, and any good links to sites that have examples?

thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 01:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
hi, I still havnt got round to making my first prints yet, but hope to soon. As an experimentalist if i can call myself that, i hope to try out some solarization techniques on portraits and other appropriate images, I also would like to try exposing some photos through water, or netting, at an angle etc..

..has anyone done much solarization? or used any interesting way of exposing/developing images in an experimental way within the confines of a standard process.

are there other techniques i may be missing, and any good links to sites that have examples?

thanks

Jimmy,

I have done a bit of this type of thing in the past to varying effect - it is hard to get it right! It would probably be best to first pin down your straight printing though before having a go.

I can recommend two books which I found useful, which I still refer to from time to time.

1/ The Book of Special Effects Photography, by Michael Langford. This is a must have I think.

2/ Also useful is The Creative Monochrome Image, by David Chamberlin.

These books are quite old now but should be available cheaply from a used book seller. Also try your library as they may well have them.

Checking the net to see if anything is described or detailed on there may lead you to some special effects dedicated sites.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th February 2015, 04:20 PM
Friend

Don't hold me to it but I think that there is a solarization article on the Unblinkingeye website

Even if there isn't, this is site worth bookmarking for its range of articles

Mike
Old 17th February 2015, 06:30 PM
Friend

I have done some Solarization in the past. As Neil said, it's unpredictable. It is good fun, though, and if it's to your liking, I'm sure you could refine the technique to achieve greater consistency. I would second the Langford book on special effects. A basic book about printing which I found very helpful is the Cassells camera guide to developing and printing. As well as basic technique, it covers some special effects. It should be available cheaply either new or used online.
Alex
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies