Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th February 2015, 07:07 PM
Friend

Default How do you crop a negative?

I've been trying to find some material on this but I can only find information on digital images.

I'm looking at cropping but not sure how to do that from a negative. A lot of the material I have seen does not really answer the question. When they refer to "negatives" they instruct you to scan the negative and do the cropping with software. If I'm not mistaken cropping was done pre-Photoshop so I wanted to know how it is done without using digital software. I'm planning on taking some shots on an upcoming wedding next month so wanted to do the testing before the big day.

I won't be developing the negatives myself, not yet anyway, so how would film developer know what to crop?
Old 11th February 2015, 07:20 PM
Friend

I don't think they would know what to crop unless you were to issue very detailed instructions and you have to be sure that what you ask them to do and what they think you are asking them to do are exactly the same

Normal cropping is via the print where you crop with a negative carrier in the enlarger and/or use the size of the enlargement to crop unwanted elements

Maybe there is a hybrid way of scanning the negative and cropping via that scan. You might be able to scan the negatives and send the print processor the scans which it then matches up with the negatives in its possession to do the same on its digital enlarger?

Mike
Old 11th February 2015, 07:24 PM
Friend

You don't actually crop the negative, but when it is being printed you only print the portion that you require. This is done by raising the height of the enlarger or moving the blades of the masking frame so that you print what you want.

In your case you may have to get small prints and mark them up to the finished picture that pleases you.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 11th February 2015, 07:53 PM
Friend

How do you crop a negative?

You don't.
Old 11th February 2015, 08:22 PM
Friend

Ithink the best way for you is that suggested by vincent. Get the negs printed onto small prints say 6x4, mark on the print where you want them cropped and send the prints with your negatives to your processer. Some processers may have available in their order forms a way of showing where you want to crop. You can usually get a CD of all your shots as well as a set of prints. You may be able to load this CD on to your computer to view the photgraphs you have taken and even crop them to show your processer what you want. I guess the best thing to do is to talk to the processer you intend to use for developing and printing your films.

Tony
Old 11th February 2015, 09:35 PM
Friend

the best way to get control of your negs is buy a enlarger and DIY

www.essexcockney.com
Old 11th February 2015, 11:03 PM
Friend

If, and when, you do your own processing and printing, it will be much easier to understand what is involved, and the various methods of cropping prints.
Are you intending to crop the images so that they fit a particular album or mount? If so, you will need to adjust for that in the framing when you actually take the picture. On the other hand, if you are just anticipating a need to crop to remove unwanted elements in your pictures, you should try to frame them as best you can at the time of taking the picture, allowing you to use prints of the whole negative. I would think that to get satisfactory cropped images, or selective enlargements, from a commercial processor, you would need to be dealing with a professional quality lab. If you have access to a negative scanner, you could adjust the images on a computer and send them to a commercial printer on a disc, or via email, but that's not really a FADU subject.....
Alex
Old 12th February 2015, 12:12 AM
Friend

I print full frame and very rarely crop.

For over 35 years I printed for a friends father, I would crop where it was very obviously needed but you don't know what the photographer wanted included.

If you are getting prints made for you get a contact sheet and use a china-graph pencil and mark where you want an image cropped to.

Ian
Old 12th February 2015, 12:51 AM
Friend

Default cover

just cover the image where you want it cropped when printing?
Old 12th February 2015, 02:07 AM
Friend

If its a pro lab that is used to doing wedding prints you can just give them instructions to crop to whatever the print format you've chosen is and they'll use their judgement. That's part of what you're paying for. They should know what they're doing.
If its your local supermarket dev and print service then good luck.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies