Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th September 2020, 12:12 PM
Friend

Default I'm beginning to hate sky areas!

I was in the darkroom yesterday printing for this months print exchange, quite happily enjoying myself...

The first print came out fine. With a few films recently developed, I thought that I would do a second print from a different negative to send to this month's recipient.

I did one print and it looked good under the safe-light. I turned on the daylight bulb to look at it in a holding tray, as I use a Nova slot processor, and it looked good. So, on went the safe-light again and another print was made for myself.

I then took the prints to the bathroom to be washed. After the required time, I took them out and put them into the drying rack. It was then that I spotted a blooming great white spot in the large area of sky on the second negatives print. Aaaaarghhhh!!!!! I went back to the darkroom and checked and cleaned the negative and tried printing it again, but the same mark was there.

Now this has thankfully only happened a few times to me in my years of developing and printing. This particular picture was shot on a roll of Rollei 400, which hasn't got the best grain in the world, especially in sky areas, but I don't mind that at all. It's the blooming great white blob, well at least a blob if not blooming great blob, but despite buying umpteen various pens and inks, I have never gotten one that matches my most used papers, being Ilford and Kentmere. So prints with tiny spots are sent out with an apology, because of my useless spotting skills, which are so bad, but mostly due to the above, I've just about given up trying.

I hate to say it, but this would have been so easy to remedy in the digi-naughty-word world.

I find myself screaming and thinking that I'll make an effort to just avoid taking pictures with areas of sky in, but I know that won't last long.

Sorry, but I just had to get this off my chest as I wonder if anyone else has had the same feeling and is there an ink out there that matches Ilford's various b/w prints that are not warm or toned, but just straight prints?

Phew! I feel better just saying it!

Terry S

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies