Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Alternate printing processes

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2009, 09:31 PM
Friend

Default Bromoil process - supplies

Any bromoil people on FADU?

Where do you get your supplies?
Old 24th April 2009, 10:57 PM
Friend

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Etrans40/hopperlist/

http://home.earthlink.net/~trans40/hoppersupplies/
Old 25th April 2009, 06:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
Any bromoil people on FADU?

Where do you get your supplies?
I've done a little, and must find time to do more. It's good fun.

I brought my chemicals from Silverprint.
Hardware and brushes from my local D.I.Y. store.

Printers ink from Intaglio Printmaker2 Southwark Bridge Rd, Playhouse Yard
London SE1 0AS
Tel: 0207 928 2633
I use Senefelder Crayon Black 1803 but you should be able to source this from nearer home. From memory I paid about £20 for two life times supply.

The Bromoil Circle LINK site will be of help if you haven't already found it, as will Gene Laughters book Bromoil 101 and Derek Watkins book, and the DVD of Norman Gryspeerdt

Old 25th April 2009, 06:49 AM
Friend

A further thought to add is that you do not need expensive brushes, at least to start with. Mine are cheap round shaving brushes. I have a friend who makes his initial ink applications with a 3” foam paint roller, and then finishes with brushes, and produces very good work. As with so many things in our pastime, a certain mystique has build up around this process, something that Gene Laughter shattered with his book Bromoil 101.
I found the choice of ink to be very important, the remainder of the materials and processes less so.
I was fortunate to attend a one day workshop by Maija McDougal of the Bromoil Circle of GB a couple of years ago which I found invaluable.
Old 25th April 2009, 09:43 PM
Friend

I found that earthlink page on google alright but it looked old and possibly out of date.

Thanks for the book and DVD recommendations Dave, I can't find Genes book but I've ordered the other one.

I was in my favourite photography shop today in Dublin and I just happened to mention Bromoil not thinking for one minute they would have anything but to my surprise they found an old fotospeed kit which even had an Irish Pound sticker on it (we went euro in '02 i think). No charge except a print if I produce anything not too embarrassing.

Hopefully this will be a starting point.
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:28 PM
Friend

I found this short film about producing bromoil prints while doing a web search for alternative processes.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies