Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th August 2016, 01:15 PM
Friend

Default Paterson FX 39: sad tale ---

I will never learn : ( Sob Story -- ) I was given a load of chemicals and paper by Chairman of Brentwood Photographic Club -- I have used the Fixers OK and some paper -- well there was a box of Paterson FX39 film developer, one 300mls un-opened bottle so I thought I would try my exposed Fuji Acros 100 so read the leaflet and THAT film was not mentioned -- so onto the Massive Dev Chart on Digital Truth.com and found lots of info -- there was a 'note' that Paterson times were too long and it said use 1+19 for 9 mins and I had a look at the other times and it said 1+14 for 11 mins -- so I cut the metal seal and liquid came out 'pale orange' and in leaflet it said it has 'Good Keeping Qualities' but if a deep yellow no good -- so I thought I would use it stronger and mixed up 1+14 and did film and it came out BLANK except for the small exposed tip which was a very faint grey ..... so I ditched the rest of the bottle .
Old 29th August 2016, 04:35 PM
Friend

I am sure we have all been there at some time.
Old 29th August 2016, 07:50 PM
Friend

I hope you haven't lost anything that is important ?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 29th August 2016, 08:24 PM
Friend

I echo Neil's sentiments, Pete. I too would have been tempted to try it out. I hate waste. I don't know what I would have done in the end but seeing your post has reinforced the need to remind myself of what the "cost" has been to make the negatives in the camera before taking a chance on developer.

Mike
Old 30th August 2016, 09:01 AM
Friend

I took some in London and around Brentwood with my Olympus OM-2n that I have 'taken over' from my Boy who never uses it now. The 'exercise' did me good taking the pics but nothing to show for it!
Old 30th August 2016, 09:30 AM
Friend

Sorry to this Pete. I spent a wonderful morning in Lincoln sometime back making pic's only to find I had failed to load a film in the first place.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 30th August 2016, 10:27 AM
Friend

Sorry this Happened Pete but we all make mistakes, Recently I got up and out very early as the light was lovely and some wonderful sky , walked with my Retina a couple of miles, and got to where the Retina stops at 36 exposures, went to wind the film back and realised due to the lack of tension that I hadn't loaded the film properly, I know I should check that the rewind know was turning, but overconfidence leads to mistakes, Next time \i double checked
Richard
Old 31st August 2016, 08:19 AM
Friend

Yesterday was sunny all day so I went back to Weald Country Park near Brentwood Town and 're-took' the shots on the OM-2n that were on the film and while I was there an Old Couple of Ramblers came by and commented on my 'Old Cameras ' ( I also had my Mamiya C220 )and told me they had some 'Old Cameras' they didn't know what to do with so would I like them ? -- They are even going to deliver to my house --- so not sure WHAT 'Old Cameras' but maybe one might be a mint condition LEICA IIIg -----
Old 31st August 2016, 09:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
Yesterday was sunny all day so I went back to Weald Country Park near Brentwood Town and 're-took' the shots on the OM-2n that were on the film and while I was there an Old Couple of Ramblers came by and commented on my 'Old Cameras ' ( I also had my Mamiya C220 )and told me they had some 'Old Cameras' they didn't know what to do with so would I like them ? -- They are even going to deliver to my house --- so not sure WHAT 'Old Cameras' but maybe one might be a mint condition LEICA IIIg -----

One can always live in hope! - best of luck ..........

Maybe a silver lining will image from the cloud of the FX39 disaster

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 1st September 2016, 04:47 AM
Friend

FX39 hasn't been sold under the Paterson label for a few years now, so the developer is well out of date. Try again with some fresh FX39 as sold with the ADOX label.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ado...00ml-372-p.asp

FX39 should be used up fairly quickly after opening. For optimum reliability, it's probably best to stick with the more commonly used developers like ID-11/D-76, Microphen, DDX, Xtol, T-Max dev, Rodinal or HC-110.

Sorry to read that you ended up with blank film.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies