Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th October 2016, 04:32 PM
Friend

You can use metol instead of phenidone, according to Sandy King. But then you have Pyrocat M not HD. Is there any difference in the finished print? Metol results in a slight loss of film speed apparently.

The first lot of Pyrocat I mixed up myself used metol. I got all the ingredients from an industrial chemist, but they couldn't get phenidone. I seem to remember I already had the metol because I had been mixing up Thornton's 2 Bath developer from ingredients supplied by the same firm. (now long gone)
I think they later got me some phenidone which I used for subsequent batches, but I couldn't spot any difference in the finished prints.

Alan
Old 13th October 2016, 05:42 PM
Friend

If you have to go out of country, you might try these (all still stock Phenidone):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com
I order from B+H regularly and they have the international shipping thing down pat. Seamless service, and reasonable rates. They have a shipping calculator which will tell you the rate.

Or... http://www.argentix.ca
My Canadian source for bulk chemicals -- reasonable prices and great service.

Or go straight to the source: http://stores.photoformulary.com

Good luck, and sorry to hear that you can't find this in the UK. Hopefully not too much of a hassle to go out of country.

Cheers,
Svend
Old 14th October 2016, 05:15 AM
Friend

Moersch Tanol and Finol developers are available from Process Supplies.
I believe these also use Catechol and are probably similar to Pyrocat.

http://www.processuk.net/MOERSCH_NEG...8_3377370.aspx
Old 14th October 2016, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
Moersch Tanol and Finol developers are available from Process Supplies.
I believe these also use Catechol and are probably similar to Pyrocat.

http://www.processuk.net/MOERSCH_NEG...8_3377370.aspx
Hi Keith,

Tanol is similar to Pyrocat and Finol is similar to PMK, both are fine developers. I have used Tanol with great success, however I prefer to mix my own. It is just frustrating to see the lack of supplies in the UK for our hobby.
Old 14th October 2016, 01:37 PM
Friend

Picking up from the start of this thread, I have been using Prescysol EF for a few months and really like it - and now of course see that it is no longer available in the UK where I live. It IS however now offered on the BHP website in the States, as a product by 'Photographers Formulary', a maker I was not aware of until now. Unfortunately it's special order and not available for online purchase - so I'm curious if someone has managed to get it or saw it offered in the UK or Europe?
I completely understand that there are other similar developers, but have been really happy with the simple workflow with Prescysol EF. Any advise would be much appreciated!
Old 16th October 2016, 07:37 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Hi Keith,

Tanol is similar to Pyrocat and Finol is similar to PMK, both are fine developers. I have used Tanol with great success, however I prefer to mix my own. It is just frustrating to see the lack of supplies in the UK for our hobby.
Hi Barry, the main thing is that there are are suitable products available as replacements for Prescysol & Prescysol EF either self made or the products from Moersch.

I always feel saddened if a photo-product is discontinued, even if it is something I don't use myself.
Old 24th November 2016, 08:39 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Anyone used this guy who's flogging pyrocat hd on ebay out of Lithuania?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-GB

Update on this: bought some and it arrived, did a short rest roll last night and the stuff seems to work fine, used the times of the massive dev chart (although to be honest I'd say it was a table, not a chart....).

As for whether it gives me a final image noticeably different to my normal DDX, well some testing is probably in order.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies