Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Help!

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th November 2017, 09:20 AM
Friend

Default Active thread not listed unless logged in

I joined the forum yesterday to add a reply to an old thread in the Monochrome Work/Monochrome Film forum.

I only see the thread listed under "Threads in Forum" if I am logged in. The recent activity (i.e. a new post) has not made the thread current. Running "Today's Posts" when not logged in does not show the thread as active either.

Why is a thread with recent activity not listed to a browser of the forum that is not logged in to the site?
Old 7th November 2017, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Hi Martin.

Sorry -that is an anti-spam feature you got caught in. All posts by new members to the forum are hidden from view (except to the poster) until a Mod can check it is not spam and release them into the wild...

I have cleared your account so all should now be visible.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 7th November 2017, 10:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I have cleared your account so all should now be visible.
Thanks Bob but it is one step forward and one back. I now see this thread but the one I originally posted in;

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...t=10577&page=3

is now not listed as current even when I am logged in!

My post will be old news to many so may promote a yawn but it seems to have gone down the world wide black hole.

Martin.

I see my current post count is 2. It should be 4, 2 posts in the thread linked above.

Last edited by MartinK; 7th November 2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Add additional info
Old 7th November 2017, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Odd. I can see all four of your posts and they are listed under your Public Profile when I look, but even after I ran some maintenance jobs on the database which normally fix things like that it was still showing your post count as 2. I have changed that manually to 4 now.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 7th November 2017, 11:36 PM
Friend

I wonder Bob, if Martin is referring to the aspect of FADU which does not arise on the likes of Photrio which is that your post and the thread disappears until someone replies.

I am only a member of two other photographic forums, namely Photrio and Pentax Forums where a click on "Today's Posts" reveals all the posts. You can see your posts even if no-one has yet replied

Mike
Old 8th November 2017, 08:08 AM
Friend

As of this morning the thread I originally posted in is now publicly listed as current. It now has the second most recent activity in the Monochrome Work / Monochrome Film forum.

If forum admins are in the position of new users being viewed as a potential threat against which counter measures must be taken that does require a clear process by which accounts are vetted and enabled, which didn't happen in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I wonder Bob, if Martin is referring to the aspect of FADU ... which is that your post and the thread disappears until someone replies ...
I participate in a few forums now, and many more in the past. I have never seen the behaviour described before. Is that really what happens?

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 8th November 2017, 08:16 PM
Administrator

I just use the "New Posts" menu link to list new posts since I last logged in.

If you go to the thread where you have posted you should see your previous posts, but as you have already read them, they won't be flagged as "new" and the thread won't be flagged as being updated (for you that is - it will be for others). Only when someone else posts to that thread will it be flagged as updated for you.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 8th November 2017, 09:41 PM
Friend

Bob I suppose that what may strike users of other forums as less convenient is that if you read a post, move on to another then for whatever reason want to come back to it to either re-read it or add a reply it has disappeared. You can of course find it in the forum sections list but this is more inconvenient that is the case on some other forums.

It doesn't particularly bother me and the convenience you see on other forums comes at a price which is the more sophisticated the forum the more expensive it is to run and the expense of so doing is usually adverts. I regard FADU as being better for no adverts.

I also understand and approve of the policy of a vetting procedure. We remain free of spammers and product pushers. I can only recall one such blatant attempt in several years and he was quickly discovered.

We still by and large get people to introduce themselves from the start which is useful for them and us.

Mike
Old 9th November 2017, 06:54 PM
Friend

I look at the forum on Tapatalk on an iPhone or iPad. It works very well. If you look at an ‘unread’ thread, it disappears from the list. If you want to view it again, a quick look at ‘new posts’ will locate it. As far as I can see, there are delays, etc associated with joining most online forums, some being a lot more tedious than others. I have to say this is one of the simplest, and quickest to join and participate that I’ve come across.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9th November 2017, 08:12 PM
Friend

There are no delays in joining this forum. You register and can create a forum post immediately. What's missing is a statement to new members that their posts will not be publicly listed until a moderator has enabled the account to do so. This meant in my case that I posted in the thread I found from a search result but was confused because that post was only visible to me when logged in and not listed publicly.

The situation was unchanged the next day so I posted in the Help! forum. The same thing happened, post not publicly listed at which point I gave up until a moderator replied.

Suggestion, just tell new members when registering that their first post requires vetting before it is listed in the forum thread, confusion avoided. If there is a danger moderators may not see such a post if in an out of the way place tell new members to post in Introductions.

At the moment you are given an account without a warning as to it's limitations.

Edit regarding post count;
My post count seems to be set to 4, it does not increment.

Last edited by MartinK; 9th November 2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Test of post count
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies