Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > Introductions

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2018, 09:38 AM
Friend

Hi Liane, welcome aboard. Darkroom costs can be greatly reduced by gradually building up what you need from ebay and from places like this one. I bought very few things new, mostly consumables like paper and chemicals. For many the 2 big questions will be getting the room dark (dark enough is easy) and water. Running water you don't need to have in the darkroom, I shuttle back and forth to the bathroom.

Doing my own printing is by far the most important part of analog photography for me.
Old 24th March 2018, 11:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Welcome aboard, Liane
Thanks for the welcome Miha.
Old 24th March 2018, 11:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHrs View Post
Hi Liane, welcome aboard. Darkroom costs can be greatly reduced by gradually building up what you need from ebay and from places like this one. I bought very few things new, mostly consumables like paper and chemicals. For many the 2 big questions will be getting the room dark (dark enough is easy) and water. Running water you don't need to have in the darkroom, I shuttle back and forth to the bathroom.

Doing my own printing is by far the most important part of analog photography for me.
Thank you for your reply.
The need for water was one of my concerns. I have two rooms to choose from but neither have water.... however one of them is right next to the bathroom, so that may be one problem solved...
My next query would be about the enlarger. How do you know you're getting the right one?.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:16 PM
Friend

Hi Lane and welcome to Fadu, a darkroom is a great place to escape, just tell everyone not to disturb you due to you using light sensitive, get in there and while away the time, thats what I do
Richard
Old 24th March 2018, 12:20 PM
Friend

Hi Liane, and welcome. When you choose an enlarger, there are two things I think you must consider.
Firstly, the film formats you use, and are likely to use in future. Most enlargers are designed around a maximum format size. That is the largest negative they can accommodate. There would be no point getting a model that's limited to 35mm if you use, or plan on using medium format.
The second issue is availability of spares and accessories, especially bulbs. Some models have a healthy supply of parts available, whereas parts for others can be very scarce and difficult to locate.
It would be a good idea to research models that are of interest to you, and perhaps ask specific questions here to see if they are considered to be worthwhile. The alternative, if budget allows, would be to contact a dealer, such as some of the Forum sponsors. They would be able to supply something suited to your requirements.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 24th March 2018, 12:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Hi Lane and welcome to Fadu, a darkroom is a great place to escape, just tell everyone not to disturb you due to you using light sensitive, get in there and while away the time, thats what I do
Richard
Richard, thanks for the welcome. I already 'escape' when I do the horses, so not sure how well it will go down if I become 'unavailable' for even more extended periods.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Hi Liane, and welcome. When you choose an enlarger, there are two things I think you must consider.
Firstly, the film formats you use, and are likely to use in future. Most enlargers are designed around a maximum format size. That is the largest negative they can accommodate. There would be no point getting a model that's limited to 35mm if you use, or plan on using medium format.
The second issue is availability of spares and accessories, especially bulbs. Some models have a healthy supply of parts available, whereas parts for others can be very scarce and difficult to locate.
It would be a good idea to research models that are of interest to you, and perhaps ask specific questions here to see if they are considered to be worthwhile. The alternative, if budget allows, would be to contact a dealer, such as some of the Forum sponsors. They would be able to supply something suited to your requirements.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Alex, thank you.
I currently use from 35mm up to 5x4(and I have to hope I don't fancy trying 10x8).
I'll have a look at some dealers/forum sponsors, thanks for the suggestion.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies