Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th September 2010, 06:39 PM
Friend

The fixer in question fotospeed fx20 is a rapid fixer but I always leave my negs in the fixer for 5 minutes.
I have never had any trouble with this fixer before.
I know I have refixed them for an extra 15 minutes using the same fixer, however to be on the safe side the negs have been placed back on the spirals and back in the tanks until I can replenish my supply of fixer tomorrow. I will then mix a batch and fix the negs for the recommended time.

Am I right in thinking that the negs will only degrade if kept in light and placing them back in the tanks should stop the degradation until I get a fresh bottle of fixer tomorrow???

I may nervously try that method Les if I can't salvage an image from any of the negs.
Old 19th September 2010, 08:05 PM
Friend

Overfixing film can cause as much trouble as underfixing, fix for the reccomended time,FX20 is a good fixer,I have used it myself without any problems, and kept 5litre containers for longer than a year, without problems,just don't overuse the stuff for film, I use 600 ml and would reckon on five developing sessions, five films, maybe more if I develop two films in a tank, but every five uses I discard and mix fresh.Richard
Old 20th September 2010, 08:19 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopALong View Post

I may nervously try that method Les if I can't salvage an image from any of the negs.
HopAlong, if you do decide to have a go be careful. Don't use Thiourea in the darkroom as even a small dust residue can cause fogging to photographic paper. I'm sorry that I can't remember the quantities but if you try it start by using very small quantities and leave the negative in the solution for quite short times, say start at 3 minutes. You will also need to fix the negative before washing. have fun and please don't repeat my experience of watching the emulsion slide off the acetate.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies