Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2012, 04:19 PM
Friend

Default Safelight bulb

I have been given a metal Ilford safelight with a red/brown glass plate filter.
The bulb is missing, it takes a standard bayonet fitting. Can I use a new 11watt low energy bulb which is equivalent to a 60watt bulb in the light or do I have to use a special bulb?
Old 6th March 2012, 05:08 PM
Friend

the safelight probably originally had a 15W lamp, so 11W CFL will be far too bright. I've got a 3W CFL in one of my Kodak beehive lights, but they are not very common. This one was a trade sample, so I can't suggest a supplier.
Ian
Old 6th March 2012, 05:10 PM
Friend

I think you have the Ilford 902 here but even if it isn't then the normal bulb is a 15W pygmy type. Depending on where you light is in relation to the paper when placed under the enlarger or in a tray if you tray develop then you might get away with 25W but a 60W equivalent I would have thought is too much.

Low energy bulbs anyway take time to warm up and when so doing might emit light of an unsafe wavelength but again I am not sure

If 15W gives enough light to do the essentials then I'd be inclined to stick with 15W.

It will be safer and while it might not give good light to see how well the print is coming along, I think that you are safer developing by time rather than appearance.

Mike
Old 6th March 2012, 08:12 PM
Friend

It's not hard to find 15watt bulbs with bayonet fitting. A stall on my local inside market carries them along with other old lamps.ES screw cost more I've discovered!
I use 25watt in an old Ilford safelight.It's farther from the work area and bouced of the ceiling. I have two with 15watt lamps nearer (I have poor night vision). Not had any fogging problems but I tested everything first.
The inverse square law applies here as to all illumination but don't push it by leaving sensitive material exposed for any lenghth of time.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies