Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2022, 10:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I've just had a quick look and it's available in the microsoft store if you have a windows computer? Also for free!
Thanks Marty. So my conclusion is that short of this app which is available for a Windows desktop PC there is no alternative to making sure that any pic for FADU has to be less than 1.5MB as there is no mechanism available to me within FADU that enables me to reduce the MB if I have taken anything above 1.5MB?

It would look as if I need to ensure that the pic needs to be a JPEG in the first place to be sure it is acceptable. I am basing this on a vague notion that JPEGs use a lot less pixels

Mike
Old 6th February 2022, 12:22 AM
Friend

Mike, your conclusion is right, in that, file re-sizing is not done automatically and that all files need to be within the dimensions specified by the forum BEFORE upload.
And in that respect, fadu is no different to any other forum that I'm familiar with.

Regarding software, there's plenty to choose from. You just need to find one that suits you and your operating system.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 6th February 2022, 10:26 AM
Friend

My Windows 10 included "Windows Live Photo Gallery" With this you can view the images stored on your computer. If you hover your curser over the thumbnail view of a photo and right click a drop down menu appears which includes "resize" this enables you to increase or decrease the size of the image. I think that "Windows Live Photo Gallery" comes as standard with windows 10 and previous versions. No doubt people here more expert in computer systems will be able to give more information.

Tony
Old 6th February 2022, 03:52 PM
Friend

Thanks Tony and Marty. It's more complicated than I had thought but useful info.

Mike
Old 6th February 2022, 04:24 PM
Administrator

It really depends on how your digital version is being created in the first place. If scanning, the scanner software usually has a setting for the size (often in pixels per inch) at which to scan the image. At least, they used to - I've not used one in years - using my phone saves on lumps of metal and plastic that I have no other use for taking up space.

Nine times out of ten, if you save your image from your phone as a jpeg, it will be small enough. Android phones let you choose between saving an image file in standard or small size images.

Last edited by Bob; 6th February 2022 at 04:58 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies