Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd March 2022, 11:36 AM
Friend

One thing I have thought of a few times recently was a long discontinued high acutance developer made in powder form by Ilford called Hyfin. It was never sold as a liquid because it started to decay within an hour of mixing. It is a long time since I have used it and I would even suggest it is better than Rodinal (Except the keeping qualities) I have contacted Ilford to try to get the formula but they point blank refused to release the details. I would love to have it back again.
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I wish they would Bring back the good old days

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be you'll find.
Old 2nd March 2022, 11:51 AM
Friend

when it came out I atrted using Ilfospeed developer for all papers not just Ifospeed RC. Better than the college supplied "universal" developer which I only used for paper, D76 for film.
Last saw a bottle for sale (not the original conical shape) about 20 years ago.
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
I will go along with Kodak High Speed Infra Red. A wonderful unique film that had no real competitors. Rollie tried and never came close. Konica had a slow IR film (32 ISO) but that too lacked that certain something. Ilford SFX isn't too bad, it has the grain but not the glow from sunlit edges. That isn't a true IR Film anyway

It was a pig to work with until you got to know it's little foibles but what you got when it all went well was very good. It was also tricky to handle because of the film base it would act like a fibre optic if given half a chance, so loading a camera in a changing bag would give you a full 36 Exp instead of loosing the first 6 frames with fogging

All camera meters would measure for the visible wavelength, but to IR it was blind. Eventually I worked it out that on a hot summers day with few clouds set the meter at 800-1000iso. Conversley in winter with sun and clear sky the ISO could be set as low as 50. Anything in between was pure guesswork with a touch of luck

The real element of surprise was the lack of anti-halation layer that gave the overall effect of a soft focus on the edges of objects. Couple this with obvious coarse grain, it was in a class of it's own.

John, how badly do you want a roll? I have a single roll of 135 that I will never shoot. I'll send it to you if it's a precious commodity there and you're really pining for it. Just shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 2nd March 2022, 03:25 PM
Friend

I never got to spend enough time getting to know Agfa papers, Record Rapid, Portriga and Brovira.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 2nd March 2022, 08:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
John, how badly do you want a roll? I have a single roll of 135 that I will never shoot. I'll send it to you if it's a precious commodity there and you're really pining for it. Just shoot me a PM if interested.
Thanks for the very kind offer but I don't own a true IR filter and for one roll is it worth acquiring another? HIE has been out production now for more years than I care to remember and the last time I used it was way back around 1997/8. HEI as I recall did not have a good reputation for keeping even when new and in a fridge.

Sorry I will have to decline, but it was kind to offer it. Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 09:15 PM
Friend

No problem John. I think this roll expired in '99 or thereabouts....sounds like it will be well past its prime. I'll probably just toss it.
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:22 AM
Friend

Svend, don't toss it.
I like IR film in the Horizon.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...68/ppuser/2109

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...78/ppuser/2109

If you didn't mind selling it I'd love to see what HIE looked like as Pano. Clip test for dev time, and worst case is I waste a couple of hours of my life on the project.
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:50 PM
Friend

I exposed a cassette of HIE last year which was given to me and the negs were not too bad and made prints. Not so hot as I would have liked but I would say - usable. So do give it a go even if it is well out of date.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd March 2022, 01:46 PM
Friend

Nice images Skellum! If I had any experience at all (exactly zero) with shooting IR I would keep it. I think it would be fun to try. But I believe special filters are needed, which I don't have.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies