Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th May 2022, 02:04 PM
Friend

Default Intrepid Camera 120/35mm enlarger - a short review

I have been trying out this enlarger for a couple of weeks in a makeshift darkroom, which is what it's designed for. It works!
The negative carriers are unconventional but work well. To avoid scratching negatives, don't slide them while the carrier is closed. The chassis works well and focusing is smoothly and accurate.
I already had a 75mm Minolta Rokkor and a Meopta copy stand with a nice column and, of course, the timer is built into the LED head. I suspect that exposure times might be a bit long with 35mm negatives because the lightsource is 6x9cm and only one-sixth of it is used by 35mm. But I haven't tried it.
In another review I saw a comment that the Intrepid lightsource only managed grade 3 1/2 on MG V when set on grade 5. This is presumably because the LEDs are capable of colour printing and are of the type used in multicolour shop-window decorations - the blue LEDs emission extends a long way into the green. I'm not sure why anyone might want such a soot-and-whitewash image, but I tried putting a genuine Ilford grade 5 (magenta) gel beneath the lens, holding back the offending green. It works!
The firmware is slightly buggy - I managed to crash it within minutes of first switch-on, probably because I was fiddling, using keystrokes that the programmer hadn't anticipated.
Almost full marks - and it's British!
Old 13th May 2022, 09:04 PM
Friend

I have the same setup and did some 5x4 prints with it, I was using my Snapshot 5x4 camera to focus the negatives. I had to 3d print some longer spacer tubes to be able to focus with a 5x4 negative.

I have just this week received my new Intrepid Black and I am going to use that as my enlarger now as focusing will be much easier on this setup.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies