Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th February 2014, 07:45 PM
Friend

Default weak cable release

When I was out yesterday I thought the shutter on my Kodak Ektar lens had developed a fault. I couldn't get it to trip. It turns out that there is nothing wrong with it. It was the cable release. It was too weak to trip it. When I tried it today on some other cameras it failed to trip any shutters.
A second cable release that I tried was also weak, though it did work intermittantly. When plunged the buisness end of these cable releases only protruded a few millimetres.
I then tried my third cable release. This worked no problem. When plunged its probe comes out at least half an inch.
I managed to get the weak cable releases to work by grabbing the probe with my teeth and pulling it to stretch the internal spring. But I don't know how long they will last.
This begs the question. Are some cable releases better than others? I seem to have bought a couple of six stone weaklings. Can anyone recommend the Mr Universe model?

Alan
Old 5th February 2014, 08:08 PM
Friend

Hi Alan, just tried my Prontor-S VS that came with an Ektar 203 as I had the same problem. I can cock the shutter and manually trigger it but cable releases don't seem to work with it. I just tried gently poking a 1.4mm watchmakers screwdriver into the threaded part and found that if I go straight in the shutter doesn't fire. If I keep the screwdriver to the rear of the threaded part where the cable release screws into it fires every time. Wonder if the cable release is just missing the trigger?

Tony
Old 5th February 2014, 08:16 PM
Friend

There is indeed a big difference in cable releases.
Personally, I like to have a range some soft and bendy others rigid, some plastic coated others metal or cloth, some long and others short.

All of my releases have come from camera shops/fairs and have been well examined before buying. And I'd be very wary of buying one without being able to inspect it.

So unfortunately I can't offer a specific name as in my experience it doesn't necessarily depend on brand or price.
But there is one thing for sure, you will know a good one when you find and it and you will never want to part with it.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th February 2014, 09:30 PM
Friend

Try this site from Germany.

http://www.drahtauslöser.com/ESITE/

Nick
Old 6th February 2014, 08:56 AM
Friend

I think there are definitely some shutters that are harder to fire than others and need a cable release with a very long "throw". The main offenders being press shutters, as firing the shutter also cocks it in one motion so its s harder press. I've got an old prontor press and a modern copal press and they both will only work with one specific cable release that I keep to one side just for those shutters.

I've also had a set of apparently good quality releases suffer compression of the internal spring to the extent that they wouldn't fire any shutter and had to be binned.
Old 6th February 2014, 05:29 PM
Friend

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Tony, maybe we can get your shutter going with the cable release that worked on mine. I will bring it next week.

My two weak cable releases have obviously suffered from spring compression , as also experienced by Dave. These are both long releases, about 2 feet long. The strong one that works well is much shorter, at about 8 inches (200mm) I wonder if there is any significance in this.

Alan
Old 6th February 2014, 06:51 PM
Friend

Certainly you'd expect long ones to be more prone to spring compression. Two foot is pretty long. The one I use on my press shutters is about 6" plastic coated and quite stiff.
Old 6th February 2014, 07:35 PM
Friend

Dave, I guess there is a trade off here. I have always thought that short releases would be more likely to cause camera shake, but if the long ones don't work.....

Speed graphic sells a release with an adjustable length of travel. Presumably a long probe reaches the parts shorter probes can't reach....??!! But it costs thirtyfive quid.

Alan
Old 6th February 2014, 07:39 PM
Friend

Aye, with my short one I'm always a bit wary of jerking the camera!
Old 6th February 2014, 07:55 PM
Friend

'Nuff said Dave!

Alan
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies