Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th March 2022, 03:19 PM
Friend

A couple of great shots there Buzz, both with plenty of detail in them.

And I'm the same as you, in that I'm loving printing smaller prints at the moment, at about 7" x 5" -ish.

Terry S
Old 28th March 2022, 04:40 PM
Friend

Hi Sebastiaan,
Late to the party, but congratulations on your first negatives. They look really good. I went to medium format after a long pause concerning photography in general. I loved it from the very first moment and it is my format for more than 90% of all photographs. Also much nicer in the darkroom.
Best wishes, Frank
Old 28th March 2022, 06:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
A couple of great shots there Buzz, both with plenty of detail in them.

And I'm the same as you, in that I'm loving printing smaller prints at the moment, at about 7" x 5" -ish.

Terry S
Thanks!
I've really started to like the smaller print sizes more and more.
And the square print on a rectangular paper as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Hi Sebastiaan,
Late to the party, but congratulations on your first negatives. They look really good. I went to medium format after a long pause concerning photography in general. I loved it from the very first moment and it is my format for more than 90% of all photographs. Also much nicer in the darkroom.
Best wishes, Frank
Thanks! I'm not entirely sure how much I'll be doing in medium format just yet, as I've built quite a nice set around my Olympus OM and Canon EOS cameras.
But time will tell!

On another note, went out to shoot yesterday and I already damaged the camera a little.
The small tab on the metal blind of the red window broke off and dropped into the river (ofcourse!). So restoration is out of the picture as I've lost the tab. The rest of the blind is still there (in the open-position).
I had some black electrical tape in my backpack, so now I just use that to cover the red window between film winds.
I'm not entirely sure whether it's absolutely required to cover the window every time, but I recon the original metal blind will probably be there for a good reason... Right?
Wouldn't want to end up having frame numbers in the middle of every picture!
It's a shame that the camera is no longer complete but it is what it is.... It's still a nice camera to use!
Old 28th March 2022, 06:42 PM
Friend

Wink

I have the same camera and love using it, it fits great in your pocket when on walk about, I have about 8 folders in medium format, its my preferred format.

Flack
Old 28th March 2022, 06:49 PM
Friend

Personally I wouldn't worry about covering the red window, I havw around 20 red window folding MF cameras, and I rarely if ever cover the red window, I am always forgetting to, and haven't had a fogging problem yet, I have used them for many years, the only camers I would make a point of covering the window is the ones that have had the red window removed to make it easier to wind onto the film back numbers,
Richard
Old 29th March 2022, 02:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about covering the red window, I havw around 20 red window folding MF cameras, and I rarely if ever cover the red window, I am always forgetting to, and haven't had a fogging problem yet, I have used them for many years, the only camers I would make a point of covering the window is the ones that have had the red window removed to make it easier to wind onto the film back numbers,
Richard
Richard - doesn't the sun ever shine on Jersey? I've forgotten a total of two times to close the red window shutter in bright sun on a couple of 6x9 folders, and fogged at least two frames each time. With only 8 precious frames per roll, I learned to hard way not to do that again.
Old 29th March 2022, 08:47 AM
Friend

Jersey is known as the sunniest place in the british isles,, but think about it, most of the time,at least for me, the camera is around my neck, only badly exposed to the sun when taking a photo, or winding on, the red window lies against my chest, and it would be a funny typof light to enter the window, go at right angles to get to the film, I have never had any problems in all the years of using folders, if it was going to fog the fiolm it would be when winding on,and the red window is at the greatest risk of exposure to light, not when hanging around your neck.and there is nothing you can do about that, you have to wind the film on
Richard
Old 29th March 2022, 10:40 AM
Friend

The bright sun is exactly why I'd think covering the red window would be a good idea.
Unfortunately the leather case that came with the camera doesn't have the straps anymore so I usually carry it around in my hand or on my tripod.
I might experiment a bit with the last frame on the roll in bright sunlight, just to see what happens.

But that has to wait, as of today apparently spring is over again here in NL, it's back to (dull) winter season according to the weather forecast...
Old 24th September 2022, 07:43 AM
Friend

I recently picked up a Nettar 518/16 in a bout of retail therapy for the princely sum of £26. It was manufactured in 1952 so is 70yo and everything works. I am going to send it to Camera Repair Workshop for a CLA because his prices and work are excellent. I have an accessory shoe rangefinder. The test roll I put through it was Rollei RPX 100 and the results were stellar. I already have TLRs so am use to 120 but the sharpness and detail are just superb. The only slight issue is the max shutter speed of 200 making fast film/clear skies/sunny16 a bit of a no go, but getting a really nice medium format camera that fits in my pocket and is lovely to use, all for £26..... The only thing I don't get is why we don't all have one

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Old 24th September 2022, 12:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteK View Post
The only thing I don't get is why we don't all have one
No tilt nor shift, no swing, no screen.
Otherwise these are great machines, yes.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies