Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th February 2021, 11:24 PM
Friend

Default I have a bad attack of GAS

Had a bad attack if gas the other day and bought a Fuji GX680 11 ,why I ask myself ,I don't really know ,But its kept me busy ,I bought it in bits ,body first then lens film back finder ,the body did not come with a battery pack so I made one that takes 6 AA s ,the film back needs a new battery as well so I have ordered a couple ,so far I have put two films through it ,FP4 and fomapan 100 ,its also the first time I have developed fomapan in photospeed FD10 . The camera has the same movement as a large format camera it also has bellows focusing ,the lens I bought is a 135mm f5.6 lens and the shutters are in in the lens so synchronised with flash at all speeds ,I do believe that you can also use large format lenses on it as well ,it shoots 8exposures on a 120 roll of film ,also it has a rotating back, its like a RZ67 on steroids . ,Its a big old lump but I am pleased with it ,I may look around for some accessories ,more lenses more backs finder ,as parts for this camera are cheap at the moment compared to other medium format cameras .
Old 11th February 2021, 07:27 AM
Friend

Congratulations Paul on your newest purchase and my sympathies for your GAS attack.

Personally, I put some conditions in place long ago; no batteries or electronics (I failed with the Mamiya 7ii) and nothing smaller than 120 film format.
It doesn't solve or justify every (non-)purchase but it helps to limit my compulsion to buy. It's nice to feel as if I've rescued a camera or enlarger but it's not nice having it lie around doing nothing.

I hope it all works out between you and your Fuji!
I have 2 of the GSW690 variety...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th February 2021, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Well, if you are going to suffer from GAS, you at least have a very attractive and capable camera as compensation for all your suffering
Old 11th February 2021, 08:53 PM
Friend

I have taken some shots and developed the film ,and I have a question to ask how do you get 9 6x8 frames in to a film sleeve ,also had a bit of luck I found a neg holder 6x8 for my devere I did not know I had one ,so that has saved me a good few bob ....
Old 12th February 2021, 09:17 PM
Friend

I get 6x8 negs off my RB67 using an 6x8 electric powered back.

The best I have managed for neg storage is 4 rows of 2 negs plus the extra in a separate sheet.

So, when you have 4 neg sheets consecutively, the single neg sheet has the left over one from the first sheet in row1, the 2nd in row2,,,,

If you come up with a better method - let me know.

Ffordes have quite a few alternative lenses for a GX as well as some other bits and bobs.

Also, it is much better to print these lage~ish 120 negs between glass, the 120 film base is so thin is can sag, if unsupported.

Hope you enjoy the big beast.

Martin
Old 12th February 2021, 10:16 PM
Friend

Thanks Martin that how I have done the negs as well ,and will take on board what you have said about the glass .Today I fitted a new lithium battery in to the film back so that kept be quite busy ,as one of the pegs that the battery is soldered to came out of the circuit board so I had to take the board out and solder the peg back. The date on the batterie is 08-1987 so it was well knackerd its there to remember what frame the film is on . Just got to make a neater power pack for the camera ,the one I made looks a bit scruffy but works ,but I will do that tomorrow ,helps pass the time ,I do love mucking about with camera things .I bought a 135mm f5.6 lens from ffordes ,its a nice thing £79.00 I think its one of the cheapest lenses I have ever bought ......
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:01 PM
Friend

I took a couple of pictures of my new to me Fuji camera I took it using a beauty dish that is not the best thing to use , so the prints didn't come out all that well but here they are ,its a big old beast but fun to use ,I will be buying some more lenses over the coming year ,cannot wait to start photographing people again .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb21&05 fuji.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	4040

Name:	Feb21&07 (2).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	4041

Name:	Feb21&04 (2).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	4042
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:22 PM
Friend

I'm sure I saw a film where Terence Donovan was using such camera!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies