Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd March 2022, 01:49 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
I never got to spend enough time getting to know Agfa papers, Record Rapid, Portriga and Brovira.
Yes, I'd like the old Agfa papers back again too.

I used the last of my very old paper a few years ago and even though the base fog was very high, it still had a richness and tonality that the modern papers cannot get anywhere near.

A bit more up to date, I'd like Ilford to re-introduce Galerie from G1 to G4 and Adox MCC 110 to be available too.

Martin
Old 3rd March 2022, 02:08 PM
Friend

A bit more up to date, I'd like Ilford to re-introduce Galerie from G1 to G4 and Adox MCC 110 to be available too.

Oh yes!
Galerie Matt was exquisite, fine surface and managed a rich, deep black. Only tried one box of the Adox, which I liked but didn't think was enough to tempt me away from Ilford warm-tone MG. The adox was (I think) an attempt to reproduce the old Agfa MC fibre paper- that was lovely, and did a subtle, attractive split in selenium. The Adox paper didn't seem to tone the same way?
Old 3rd March 2022, 05:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Svend, don't toss it.
I like IR film in the Horizon.
http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...68/ppuser/2109

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...78/ppuser/2109

If you didn't mind selling it I'd love to see what HIE looked like as Pano. Clip test for dev time, and worst case is I waste a couple of hours of my life on the project.
If you mean by the term Pano, do you mean panchromatic? I so I can tell you, very much like any other panchromatic film only very grainy, no make that very VERY grainy!
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:58 PM
Friend

Oops John.
Very lazy typing on my part. By 'Pano' I meant Panoramic. When I used to shoot HIE it was always in the conventional 35mm format of 2:3
Since then I've only had 'near' IR films like SFX 200 in the Horizon.
It would be really nice to have one try at using a real IR film in the full panoramic shape. As for grain, I remember it well, along with the halation and glowing highlights.
Old 4th March 2022, 08:40 AM
Friend

Agfa BEH-1. Very contrasty single weight paper (BEH= Brovira Extra Hard). There's nothing like it today.
Old 4th March 2022, 11:57 AM
Friend

I miss single weight FB papers!! There is just something special about a tiny print made on a thin, fragile paper. But that's jut me. I know most darkroom workers print their photos in sizes suitable for wall decoration rather than albums.
Old 5th March 2022, 10:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
I miss single weight FB papers!! There is just something special about a tiny print made on a thin, fragile paper. But that's jut me. I know most darkroom workers print their photos in sizes suitable for wall decoration rather than albums.
hat would save a lot of washing time. Not that fragile, I have the prints from my degree in 1976 done on Kodak Bromide paper, WSGSW and they're in good condition. The professional who taught me sent all his prints to his agency on single weight paper. I haven't printed larger than 10x8 since student days, I couldn't afford the cost and wouldn't have the space considering the number of prints I've made over the past twenty years.
Old 5th March 2022, 01:12 PM
Friend

Quote:
I know most darkroom workers print their photos in sizes suitable for wall decoration rather than albums.
I think I have only ever made a few 16" x 12" prints in my whole printing life.

I mostly did 10" x 8" prints, often with large white borders. Of late though, as in print exchanges, I have taken to liking to print 7" x 5" prints, or sometimes smaller. I'm finding I much prefer to view the images close up rather than having to stand back from them. Each to their own, as the saying goes.

Terry S
Old 5th March 2022, 03:44 PM
Friend

In the past, I printed to 16"x12" and sometimes 20"x16" and a couple of times 24"x20", and hung these around my house, however, once I finish my last box of 16"x12" Varycon FB paper I think I'm done with these sizes for good. 7"x5" and 10x15 cm (Fomatone FB comes in this size precut) are all I want from a photograph, unpretentious, and quick to produce. For a greater presence, especially from a 5"x4" negative, I will still opt for a 12"x9.5" paper size though. But even from 5"x4" I often just make contact prints.
Old 6th March 2022, 08:36 AM
Friend

Quote:
In the past, I printed to 16"x12" and sometimes 20"x16" and a couple of times 24"x20", and hung these around my house, however, once I finish my last box of 16"x12" Varycon FB paper I think I'm done with these sizes for good. 7"x5" and 10x15 cm (Fomatone FB comes in this size precut) are all I want from a photograph, unpretentious, and quick to produce. For a greater presence, especially from a 5"x4" negative, I will still opt for a 12"x9.5" paper size though. But even from 5"x4" I often just make contact prints.
I used Varycon RC in the past. made in Croatioa. I liked it but it was prone to fogging with age but was good for solarising.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies