Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th July 2020, 07:22 AM
Friend

He wants £300 for the Roleiflex, but I doubt he would sell it via post, he is a one man band and his main work camera repair's, and he does everything from digi to the old timers, I his work is first class he was trained by Newton Ellis and has work in hand for weeks, he has serviced many of my old timers as well as a couple of my Minolta's, the latest was my Srt 101 just before, like everyone over here and where you are, was closed for 3 month's, only opening a couple of weeks or so ago,
Richard
Old 13th July 2020, 12:01 PM
Friend

Well I am now the proud owner of the Mamiya 645 outfit, complete with original instruction book, extension ring 1,and written guarantee,spare 120 film insert in the black box, all in a Mamiya fitted case, ready to go, I must say the 500mm lens is a bit of a beast, long and very heavy, but I shall be out and about with it in a day or so, looking forward to it all, Thanks for all the replies
Richard
Old 13th July 2020, 02:22 PM
Friend

Richard, one thing I found years ago was when using a tripod it's important to use the mirror lock. It makes a huge difference to the sharpness, when you shoot hand held you absorb and dampen the vibration caused by the mirror.

You'll enjoy using the kit, mine gets used rarely these days as I mainly shoot LF and carry a TLR alongside it.

Ian
Old 13th July 2020, 03:03 PM
Friend

I have found that also with my Bronica Etrsi camera, on a tripod you need the mirror lock up, but for my MF work 90% is either hand held or with a monopod, and if I use the Mamiya 500mm lens I will definitely need to use a monopod, although I suspect that the 500 will not get a lot of use, with the Bronica I mainly use 50mm or 150mm, with the Mamiya it will be mostly the 45 or 150, but I might get a 210 as I find the longer length to be helpful sometimes, I hyave a 200 bronica lens which is useful, but all in all I am very happy with the Mamiya, and look forward to getting out there and using it
Richard
Old 21st July 2020, 07:17 PM
Friend

i have been using my 150 3.5n mamiya MF lens on my AF camera ,to take some portraits and they came out luverly and sharp mamiya glass is top notch ..the 500mm lens is also great to use ,it focuses quite close and its great for putting the background right out which is great for portraits ,and other things you want to stand out ,like i said if you want to get a newer body they will work just as well with your lenses ,i have even seen people using them lenses on newer phaseone digital body's .
Old 21st July 2020, 08:22 PM
Friend

I printed some of my first roll on Sunday, it was a very grey day when I took them, mainly to try the camera and lenses out and I am very pleased indeed with the results, and when the FB paper is flat I will post some, You say the 500mm lens focus's close, but mine focus's down to 30 feet, so not that close, and is a bit of a beast, very heavy at around 12 pounds in weight, a lovely lens but not one I would like to hand hold, and I have also bought a 210mm to give me something in between to 150 and 500,
Richard
Old 21st July 2020, 08:38 PM
Friend

Default 80mm F1-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I am 99.9% certain to buy the outfit, not to sell on but to use the outfit myself, I have been looking at the prices of the lenses alone, and the 500mm sells for more than I would pay, plus the 80mm 1.9 seem to carry a premium price if you can find one
Richard
I had a 1000s many years ago (1990 ish) that came with this lens and I was not impressed. Magazines at the time did say the lens was compromised with the film plane not as accurate as a 35mm and it showed up with the 1.9 aperture. Stop it down to F4 and it was as good as the F2.8 version. But the outfit you have been offered is well worth the money in any body's world.
Old 21st July 2020, 09:34 PM
Friend

Richard 30ft is quite close for a 500mm ,and with social distancing it make a great portrait lens ,i use mine on a monopod or tripod only ,I don't think you can hand hold it ,I also have the 500mm mirror lens ,I got cheap because it had a bit of fungus in it but it was striped down and cleaned ,I even used that to take some shots of people playing in the field next to me and got some lovely head and shoulder shots .I like taking photos of people .
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:55 AM
Friend

Thanks Paul,
This is the first time I have used this long a lens in MF, my normal lenses for 645 are the Bron ica and I bought them, many years ago, mainly to use for landscapes/seascapes, and rarely used anything longer than a 150, with a 200 for that extra bit of pulling power, but I was younger then, but I have enjoyed using the 500, and like you, always on my Monopod, which I always carry for both the Bronica and now the Mamiya, but also, in recent years, I have used Tlr's and folders which are hand holdable cameras,
Richard
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:51 AM
Friend

Can I suggest that if you buy it, as soon as you can look around for another body as a spare. The parts, especially for the shutter are not available anymore, so if you can find another 1000s or even 'Model J' body, it should keep you up and running. A simple body is not going to be that expensive.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies