Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th May 2009, 11:24 AM
Friend

Smile Storage Bottles

I thought I share a tip with you all.

In the long run, I find it cheaper to purchase my liquid chemistry in 5-Litre bottles rather than a few 1-litre versions. Assuming your not ripped off with excess carriage this actually is better value. I buy from Firstcall and Fotospeed as they only charge about £7 per order regardless of weight and no extra premium for shipping hazard materials via couriers.

On receipt of these 5-Litre bottles I decant into appropriate size smaller brown glass bottles ie 100ml, 150ml 300ml or whatever size I need.

I can't believe the silly prices photo dealers charge for storage bottles, so I bought a couple of cartons (case quantities varies depending of bottle size) with some screw on lids which are more air-tight than the child-proof lids from my local Superdrug store.

On average each bottle and lid worked out about 25-30p each rather than a couple of quid each from photo stores. Basically medicine bottles. I then store these brown bottles in an "The Really Useful Box Co" large tub from "Staples in a darkroom cupboard".

It was good that the same size lids fit all the different sized bottles. If you need to replace the lids I paid about £2 per 100.

It took me a long time to learn there are always alternative products that work just as well from non-photo suppliers.

Just a thought..

apxuser
Old 10th May 2009, 11:50 AM
Friend

Useful to know, thanks.
So if I read this right, the cartons of brown bottles came from Superdrug? What's the maximum size they do, anything above 300ml? Do you have to order them specially?
Old 10th May 2009, 11:59 AM
Friend

Hi Roy

When I placed my order with Superdrug, they said bottles were available in different sizes and capacities from 50ml up to about 2-Litre sizes. You need to speak to the pharmacist directly as they check their book and contact the drug wholesaler they use for clarification. No point asking the shop sales assistant they won't know (no dis-respect) to them.

Cheers - apxuser
Old 10th May 2009, 02:03 PM
Friend

It's also worth talking to your local (if you have one) chemist, who may be able to supply box quantities at advantageous prices.
Old 10th May 2009, 05:56 PM
Friend

If I can just add to this rather than start a new storage thread. If you buy 5 litre containers such as dev and fix then you can decant into 3 litre wine boxes. Most wine bags are silvered on the outside, very robust and the dispenser can be easily removed, the bag cleaned, filled and dispenser re-attached and placed back into the box. It is then light proof and collapses as the liquid is draw out very accurately via dispenser. I even use a 3 litre bag for 1 litre of DDX and Perceptol. Provided the air is pushed out by compressing the bag until the liquid gets to the neck before replacing the dispenser then even 1 litre can be dispensed. Almost no wastage at the end as most dispensers will allow almost all the liquid to be extracted.

Mike
Old 10th May 2009, 06:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
If I can just add to this rather than start a new storage thread. If you buy 5 litre containers such as dev and fix then you can decant into 3 litre wine boxes. Most wine bags are silvered on the outside, very robust and the dispenser can be easily removed, the bag cleaned, filled and dispenser re-attached and placed back into the box. It is then light proof and collapses as the liquid is draw out very accurately via dispenser. I even use a 3 litre bag for 1 litre of DDX and Perceptol. Provided the air is pushed out by compressing the bag until the liquid gets to the neck before replacing the dispenser then even 1 litre can be dispensed. Almost no wastage at the end as most dispensers will allow almost all the liquid to be extracted.

Mike
There is another thread where the purchase of these in an empty state is discussed. This dispenses with the chore of getting rid of the wine that otherwise one is forced to buy.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies