Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st February 2014, 01:00 PM
Friend

Default Medium Format Camera ?

Guys, I am wondering about buying a medium format camera and a couple of lenses.

Mostly, I would want it to shoot landscapes

My preference would be for a mechanically based SLR but would consider an electronically controlled device is it was sensibly weather proof.

I have never had a camera in this film size and have never taken much interest in MF, so have no allegiance to makes X or Y

I can enlarge anything from 35mm to 5x4 - therefore negative size shouldn't be a constraint

I'm not too concerned about camera/system weight either

So, what is available and what do people recommend ?

Thanks

Martin
Old 21st February 2014, 01:19 PM
Friend

Square or rectangle?
Old 21st February 2014, 01:27 PM
Friend

You are going to get many answers on this one Martin!

Maybe you ought to decide on the format though - if you are not concerned about weight I would leave the 645 format out of your thinking.

With 6x6 I have used both the Hasselblad and Bronica systems and each are very good indeed. Currently my MF system for landscapes is: Bronica SQAi with 50mm , 80mm and 135mm (close focus) lenses.

Apart from the Mamiya 7 RF (which I no longer have) I have no experience of 6x7 and beyond so I'll leave that to those who have. But if I were to go 6x7 again it would have to be a Mamiya RB or RZ - just for the inbuilt bellows.

Happy decision making and hunting !

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 21st February 2014, 01:42 PM
Friend

I have a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD with an 90mm lens that I'm looking to sell at a reasonable price!

If I had the money though personally I'd probably choose a Mamiya 7II
Old 21st February 2014, 01:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Square or rectangle?
Hi Dave

Good question - I don't know if I am bothered either way

Martin
Old 21st February 2014, 02:01 PM
Friend

Well the format is first decision/compromise to be made.

Some such as Hasselblad give choice or 4.5x6 or 6x6 depending on which back you have loaded.
Others such as new Fuji/Bessa are switchable between 6x6 and 6x7.
Olders fuji tend to be fixed lens.

4.5x6 is usually in portrait orientation with camera normal way up.

Most don't give 6x9 but if you want 6x9 (same aspect ratio as 35mm camera) then you will need a dedicated 6x9 camera. Fuji made some nice ones but with fixed lenses I think. Lots of older folders have 6x9.

Then there is 6x12 and 6x17 for panoramas but 6x17 won't fit your enlarger.

So I think you need to be a bit more specific in what you are looking for in the way of format because it narrows the choice down consderably.

If you are looking for new ther is not much on the market except hasselblad, system camera with exchangeable backs and lenses or fuji/bessa which are fixed lenses.

Do you want a system type camera with exchangeable backs and lenses. Do you want old folder type, the list is endless.

note: exchangeable backs means you can switch between films colour/B+W very easily.

On the other hand if you mostly tend to use wide angle for landscape and just one film type then something like an old folder or a new fuji/bessa might be for you.

So many choices
Old 21st February 2014, 02:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Hi Dave

Good question - I don't know if I am bothered either way

Martin
You WILL be. if you are used to 35mm 3:2 aspect ratio you will find 6x6 takes some getting used to, due to subejct selction and composing with that format.
On the other hand if you have been using 4x5 then it may come more easily.

perhaps consider what the aspect ratio of your usual prints are and look for format which matches or is close to that.
Old 21st February 2014, 02:45 PM
Friend

I would recommend the Mamiya 7 for portability and excellent optics.

However, if you want a system camera then I would recommend the Rollei SL66. This camera has the lot - with bells on for landscape work – and is the nearest thing to a large format camera as it gets: in built bellows, 8˚ tilt to use the Scheimpflug principle for greater depth of field, etc.

Heck, if it was good enough for Brett Weston . . .

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 21st February 2014, 03:02 PM
Friend

I use 6x6 in the form of Bronica Sq equipment, and a Rolleicord. I also use 35mm and have had no problems changing between the two. The Bronica has a 645 back that shoots in the landscape format. I wasn't that bothered about this format until I tried it. The aspect ratio of this particular rectangle is excellent for landscape work. The negatives are also appreciably larger than 35mm, giving improved quality. What had previously put me off it was the portrait orientation of some cameras, and the suggestion that quality was only marginally improved from 35mm. I have never tried a Bronica ETRs 645 camera, so I cannot say if it uses the portrait layout. With the SQ you can do both 645 and 6x6. If you go down the Bronica route, shop around for deals, particularly for the backs. There are some ridiculously expensive ones advertised. I would say that shops give better deals than ebay. I bought a very lightly used 645 back recently from Cameraworld in London for £37. Lenses are also cheap. You can pick up the 50(28mm equivalent for 35mm) and 150(70mm equivalent) for about £100 or less. The 40(24mm equivalent) tends to be expensive. I have had some infrared landscape success with the Rolleicord, but prefer using the Bronica.
Alex.
Old 21st February 2014, 04:26 PM
Friend

I've been considering the same thing for a while now, having had a taste of what medium format can do with my old TLR.

For me a major consideration is whether I want a companion to my 35mm SLR system, or a replacement for it. Even a "companion" system would leave the Canon gear caught between it and my everyday Oly XA, though. There aren't many things I do which can't be covered by a combo of XA plus something like a Mamiya RB or 2x3 Century Graphic.

For what you describe - landscape, probably on a tripod, size/weight no issue, mechanical SLR - I'd suggest a close look at the Mamiya RB. That, plus your existing 35mm gear, would cover just about every possibility short of those needing camera movements and the RB gear is a relative bargain now.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies