Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th February 2017, 01:07 PM
Friend

Default 4x5 I am tempted but what camera would you recommend?

I have got an itch to scratch, I am so tempted to buy and use a 4x5 field camera. If I took the plunge what camera would you recommend? Weight would be an issue, its main use would be for hiking and taking landscape photographs and the occasional family portrait.. What lenses would you advise for landscapes and head and shoulder portraits? I have looked at the latest Chamonix 045N-2 the price is steep but it looks quality. I will need to save my pennies and perhaps put the camera on my Christmas list.
Old 13th February 2017, 04:18 PM
Friend

The Chamonix 045N-2 looks a very capable camera and from a price, quality, weight perspective, it will be hard to beat.
However, bear in mind that the camera is only one of the many costs of LF; the principle one being glass!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 13th February 2017, 05:08 PM
Friend

You're welcome to pop down when the weather improves and try a few LF (5x4) cameras. (I'm an hour from Derby).

Image quality isn't related to high camera prices luckily so you can get into LF quite cheaply.

Ian
Old 13th February 2017, 05:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
You're welcome to pop down when the weather improves and try a few LF (5x4) cameras. (I'm an hour from Derby).

Image quality isn't related to high camera prices luckily so you can get into LF quite cheaply.

Ian
Thank you for the kind offer, I may take you up on that in the summer, my son is at Birmingham University so I am always up and down the m42. I have the skills to make a camera but not the spare time at the moment due to my mothers ill health (she is 95 years old). But yes that would be great, looking at different designs may give me a better idea of what would suit.
Old 13th February 2017, 05:22 PM
Friend

Perhaps something like an old MPP 45, there are a few around and certainly the quality of MPP products was and still is vry good indeed, certainly if I was tempted then I would certainly go for one of them
Richard
Old 13th February 2017, 06:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Thank you for the kind offer, I may take you up on that in the summer, my son is at Birmingham University so I am always up and down the m42. I have the skills to make a camera but not the spare time at the moment due to my mothers ill health (she is 95 years old). But yes that would be great, looking at different designs may give me a better idea of what would suit.
You'd be surprised how quickly you can build an LF camera if you have a few parts and know what you need (to make)

I have and use a few different LF cameras from Speed, Crown, & Super Graphics (Press cameras), MPPs, and a Wista 45DX, plus 7x5 and 10x8 cameras, also ULF 12"x10". I also have a 6x9/6x7 Press camera and a 6x7 field camera built in a week.

My next camera build is a 5x4/6x17 field camera

I should add this invitation is open to anyone looking to get into LF. I have spare LF kit, cameras, lenses, meters, & tripods (for workshops), plus a darkroom with various LF dev tanks and 2 LF enlargers.

Ian
Old 13th February 2017, 09:25 PM
Friend

As Richard mentions, I would also suggest a MPP press camera. They have a range finder and you can use them hand held, although use with a tripod would be better.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:08 PM
Friend

Norm, I have the same itch. Haven't scratched it to the point of requiring medical treatment yet, but creeping ever-closer. What's holding me back is the rather daunting prospect of handling sheet film at both ends of the process - loading holders and then developing. Maybe it's easier than it seems, but by comparison roll film sure looks appealing from convenience and handling perspective.

That said, I have been seriously tempted by the view cameras that have 6x9 roll film backs. Now that would tick all the boxes for me - roll film convenience, big neg, lots of film choices, and those all-important camera movements to get that elusive depth of field that a regular MF camera just can't manage. Such a machine would make a wonderful landscape camera. I've been looking at the Wista 45 models, esp. the one with the built-in rangefinder. These have rotating backs and 6x9 holders. If they could take a 6x17 holder then I might just take the plunge -- wonderful format!

Rittreck is a Wista brand name that pops up here every now and then -- also very flexible and versatile.

Food for thought, eh? Best of luck in the search.

Svend
Old 15th February 2017, 07:32 AM
Friend

The Chamonix is a nice camera - well made and easy to use.

Take Ian up on his offer of letting you play with his vast collection of LFs.

There is a huge range of LF cameras around that you need to find something that suits you.

What sort of photos are you intending to take - landscapes, portraits,,,,,

The sort of photography you intend to take will dictate what sort of camera you will want.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of press cameras, I like wooden field cameras - just like the Chamonix.

I am a keep landscape photographer so rise and fall, lateral shift and the ability to compose the image on the ground glass are the important features to me and set up time is not critical.

As others have eluded to, buying the camera is only the first expense and they can mount up fairly quickly, so you need to think about whether it really is going to be your thing.

Personally, I'm glad I made the jump but it isn't for everyone.

Martin
Old 15th February 2017, 11:00 AM
Friend

It makes very interesting reading what everyone has to say about LF. And I would just like to add, that I haven't as yet, been able to get out of large format what I'm capable of getting out of medium format.

It's probably all part of the learning curve, more practice and experience should lead to better control, results and consistency. But that is both the challenge and frustration. Unfortunately, I lack confidence in my LF technique which is not on par with MF know how.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies