Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th January 2018, 08:22 PM
Friend

Default Is this company genuine

I have just come across a company with a UK telephone number, dial code 01202 862886. www.rockycameras.com

The prices that they are asking for some of the kit seem very very low. Some of the equipment looks a bit rough, but there are other gems which may be worth another look. There does not seem to be any connection to E Bay, at least not on the website.

For example there was a Praktica MTL3 for £5.99
Old 29th January 2018, 08:34 PM
Friend

John

Here is a link to some reviews of Rocky Camera - there are 26 reviews with an average score of 1/10.

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/RockyCameras
Old 29th January 2018, 08:48 PM
Friend

Hmmmmmm

If it seems too good, then it probably is. If the comments are correct I wonder why he has not had his collar felt by the Old Bill.
Old 29th January 2018, 08:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAllan View Post
John

Here is a link to some reviews of Rocky Camera - there are 26 reviews with an average score of 1/10.

https://www.resellerratings.com/store/RockyCameras
I read the reviews and there seemed to be pattern emerging in terms of "repeat orders" which is worrying to say the least.

What's the location for the phone number quoted? Does he have a business address?

Mike
Old 29th January 2018, 09:57 PM
Friend

He regularly has a stall at second hand camera fairs. I think he works
from home which again I think is in Dorset. Seems to make a good living out of camera sales.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Marlow; 29th January 2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 29th January 2018, 09:57 PM
Friend

01202 is listed as the Bournemouth area.

There is no address on the website, although I thought that it was a legal requirement when advertising on the web. I may be wrong about that, but anyone who doesn't come clean about a business address, may have something to hide - VAT liability etc to the HMRC
Old 29th January 2018, 11:04 PM
Friend

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ighlight=rocky
Old 29th January 2018, 11:48 PM
Friend

I googled it again and a lot more came up from e-bay buyers, mainly it would seem from the U.S. where buyers have to weigh up the cost of action and their avenues for action at 3-5 thousand miles away. That plus Michael's link has made up my mind for me.

Nuff said as the expression goes

Mike
Old 30th January 2018, 08:46 AM
Friend

As someone who often buys old cameras,( as you know I collect and use classic cameras) then I would advise you to steer well clear of Rocky Cameras,I once dealt with them, they had a mint retina 2a which looked a good buy at £30, I had been wanting oneno for a while and they don't seem to come up often, so I bought it, when it got here the lens was so full of fungus that it was beyond saving, and the shutter only fired on 2 speeds, the leather covering was peeling off, when I tried to get back to him it took a month before I got any form of reply, which amounted to your bad luck, no refunds so bought a camera that was so far gone all I could do was to bin it, I have since heard, from a lot of people that collect like I do, who have all had the same problems, how he manages to stay in business astounds me, so if your are thinking of buying from him then I suggest you run a mile
Richard
Old 30th January 2018, 09:59 AM
Friend

I've bought a few things off him over the years - mainly bits and bobs such as straps, cable releases etc (though I did once pick up an almost unused Nikon PB-4 for a bargain price in one of his many sales). I wouldn't buy cameras or lenses as his descriptions seem a little 'ambitious' when looking at the accompanying pictures but he can occasionally be useful for difficult to find items....
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies