Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th January 2021, 11:34 AM
Friend

My initial thought was Paul Strand, but the mention of James Ravilious and that glorious Devon countryside…
Old 6th January 2021, 01:18 PM
Friend

You've all given me a lot of names to look up, and despite trying to cut down on buying books, (with photography and cookery being my biggest buys), I can imagine at least one more book being added to my ever growing collection.

As for photographers, I will plump with Bob Carlos Clarke, for whom I've had a fascination for since the 1980's. He's mostly known by his 'erotic' images, but he's done a lot of other stuff as well. But I would liked to have spent a day with him in his darkroom, for he was an excellent printer as well, and was happy experimenting with toners etc. to make him images look how he wanted them to look.

I did briefly meet him, at 'Focus on Imaging' in Birmingham, when he did a short talk, followed by a book signing, of his self published hardback book, 'Shooting Sex'. The book is a really good read, and he was keen to tell buyers this, in the hope that it would stop them just looking at the pictures and then putting the book on the shelf.

And it is true that, maybe one shouldn't meet their 'idols', as he came across as a bit of a grump and not too approachable, but that was probably just caused by the whole scenario, as quotes in other books and articles, always made him sound the opposite.

It was such a loss of talent when he committed suicide.

Terry S
Old 7th January 2021, 12:15 PM
Friend

The first one to pop into my head was Paul Fusco.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 7th January 2021, 03:49 PM
Friend

I have met Terence Donovan a couple of times and as he is a 'Fellow East-Ender' would have liked to spend time with him -- sadly RIP
Old 7th January 2021, 04:05 PM
Friend

Pete lets go the hole hog and me and you could spend the day with the Black Trinity .
Old 7th January 2021, 06:50 PM
Friend

Easy

No1 - Ansel Adams in his prime in Yosemite

The next on the list would be more difficult to order
- Walker Evans
- Bill Brandt
- John Sexton

Martin
Old 7th January 2021, 08:53 PM
Friend

Touching to see mentions for both Carlos Clarke and Donovan.
Both masters of their craft and both and both lost too soon. My better half and I were watching the video for Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love last week, and I was telling her about Donovan's pedigree as a portrait/fashion photographer. She'd never heard of him, yet on YouTube alone that video has been watched almost 71 Million times.

Paul, Pete: If we were meeting up with the 'Black Trinity' we should invite Carlos Clarke, and maybe Mapplethorpe? The venue best be the pub, and I'm not sure wed last a whole day in that company.

John Sexton: I've never seen one of his prints in the flesh, only in reproduction, but his work is just extraordinary. If I could print like him I'd be a very happy man.

Paul Fusco- thanks Mitch. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know him at all. I've been looking at his photographs online just now, and they are shockingly frank and forthright. His Chernobyl images remind me of those W Eugene Smith made at Minimata.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:45 PM
Friend

Hi Colin, years ago there used to be Magnum videos on their website but it appears, no more?
I remember watching the Paul Fusco film about the Chernobyl legacy and found it haunting. I found a copy on youtube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AC581EeIMKg

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 8th January 2021, 05:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post

John Sexton: I've never seen one of his prints in the flesh, only in reproduction, but his work is just extraordinary. If I could print like him I'd be a very happy man.
John runs printing workshops at his Carmel home, if you really want to learn his methods.

My printing skills are well below a level where I would benefit from such a course.

Martin

Last edited by Bob; 8th January 2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 8th January 2021, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I guess for me it would have to be Ansel Adams in the all-time-greats section and for living photographers, Michael Kenna. There are others of course, most of those mentioned in fact, but those two are where I find myself looking again and again.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies