Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th October 2010, 08:38 AM
Friend

As I mentioned in my earlier post I prefer Paterson's Universal contact printing frame. This is because I store all my negatives in Printfile clear negative sheets, it therefore enables me to produce contact sheets from all formats without having to remove the negatives from the negative files.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 19th October 2010, 10:10 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
... I store all my negatives in Printfile clear negative sheets, it therefore enables me to produce contact sheets from all formats without having to remove the negatives from the negative files.
Several Friends seem to use Printfile sheets. How difficult is it to keep negatives clean and dust-free with them? I bought some Kenro clear acetate storage sheets and they are a complete nightmare! They pick up static as soon as I look at them, so they attract huge amounts of dust. Negs are hard to insert and remove, and get scratched, and contact prints through the sheet show up all the muck that accumulates. I think I only used one or two before giving up and going back to glassine sheets...

Andrew
Old 19th October 2010, 10:17 AM
Friend

True, polypropylene sheets pick up dust. Glassine/Pergamine do not. I still prefer the clear ones.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcr1 View Post
I bought some Kenro clear acetate storage sheets and they are a complete nightmare! They pick up static as soon as I look at them, so they attract huge amounts of dust. Negs are hard to insert and remove, and get scratched, and contact prints through the sheet show up all the muck that accumulates. I think I only used one or two before giving up and going back to glassine sheets...

Andrew
Oh good it wasn't just my experience. They are a nightmare.
Old 19th October 2010, 04:28 PM
Friend

I find the Printfile sheets are ok with regards static; dust certainly isn't a problem - unlike the Kenro clear sheets which as others have found - a nightmare. Printfile are much softer than the Kenro type so are kind on negatives.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 19th October 2010, 04:39 PM
Friend

Default Paterson contact frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
How does it manage that?
Because the plastic strips attached to the glass allow each strip to overlap on one edge, thus getting them all on a 10" X 8" sheet. I also find that clear neg pages attract dust, but as said clear versions do allow print through. However, just for the dust reason, I always use the translucent versions.
Old 20th October 2010, 05:30 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
The paterson with the plastic lines allows you to contact a complete 36exposure film on one sheet of 10" X 8", which you can't do with just a plain sheet of glass.
Sure you can. I do it all the time. 6 rows of 6 negatives each. If it fits on 8x10 with the Paterson printer, why would it not fit without?
Old 20th October 2010, 06:37 AM
Friend

Default contact frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Sure you can. I do it all the time. 6 rows of 6 negatives each. If it fits on 8x10 with the Paterson printer, why would it not fit without?
You are correct that they will fit, but only if they are overlapped slightly. However, I personally find this a difficult task with just a plain sheet of glass, as when you lower the glass the tight configuration of strips will sometimes move due to air pressure. The Paterson plastic strips make it easier to keep them in place.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:52 PM
Friend

Sounds like the Kenro clear sheets are known to be a pain! I think I only have one sheet still in use, and when I print any of those negs, they'll not be going back into the sheet.

BUT it does sound like the Printfile sheets are a lot better - I just wish I could order fewer than 100 to try them out! Does anyone in the UK sell them in 25s? I couldn't find smaller packs at Silverprint or Ag, but the Printfile website in the US has them...

Andrew
Old 21st October 2010, 06:06 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
How does it manage that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
Because the plastic strips attached to the glass allow each strip to overlap on one edge, thus getting them all on a 10" X 8" sheet. I also find that clear neg pages attract dust, but as said clear versions do allow print through. However, just for the dust reason, I always use the translucent versions.
Ah - of course. I can do that with a plain sheet of glass, at least with the negs that sit flat. The ones that bow badly would be a problem.

With edges overlapping, would that limit your ability to judge whether the contact print has been exposed sufficiently to achieve maximum black (as per the Thornton article ) I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but as a newcomer, and with plenty of other new members lately, I'd be interested in people's take on this.

Last edited by Dave miller; 21st October 2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: broken hyperlink changed
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies