Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th May 2013, 04:52 PM
Friend

Default 127mm f4.7 Ektar front element

Hi folks,

Just bought a nice Speed Graphic with the above lens that is OK apart from some scratches to the front element. I don't suppose anyone would happen to have the same lens maybe with a defunct shutter or fungus on the rear elements that they'd be willing to part with?

The other thing I'm looking for is a cheap lens for the camera that would allow movements. It doesn't have to be eyeball-explodingly sharp or anything like that. I've been told the 203mm Ektar is a good one but I'm just getting into 5x4 and I haven't really got a clue about what might be available. If you can help I'd love to hear from you.

Bruce

www.photography-matters.blogspot.com
Old 9th May 2013, 05:17 PM
Friend

Hi Bruce. I have a 203mm Kodak Ektar. It covers 5 x 7 so will cope with a fair degree of movement on a 5 x 4 camera. It's a lovely lens; as sharp as my 90mm and 121mm Super Angulons, and it's tiny! So very easy to carry round. I believe you will pick up a nice one without spending a lot of money.

Alan
Old 9th May 2013, 05:24 PM
Friend

Hello, there.
If the scratches aren't very bad they might not affect too severely the quality of the image. If you haven't already it might be worth to shoot some film sheets with light hitting the the front element at different angles to check out visually the importance of the problem, or lack thereof.

Cheers, M.
Old 9th May 2013, 05:35 PM
Friend

I'm getting one in a package of lenses,it'll probably be late next week before I pick them up. Ideally you need a pair of cells as they match and with a Tessar lens of this FL being used at the extremes of its coverage that's very critical.

The seller is a friend and he was using the lens and had the shutter repaired in the US but it's not reliable despite almost no use since.

It won't be much but I'll need to see it first. You're too far to drop in and check out some lenses unfortunately and I'm not planning a visit North for a while. (Used to play/swim on your local beach as a kid).

Ian
Old 9th May 2013, 05:54 PM
Friend

That sounds good Ian. I reckon my Ektar is still usable but it looks like it would flare easily. The good thing is that the shutter sounds fine. Please get back in touch when you get your package.

Thanks for the other replies. Looks like the 203 Ektar is the one to go for.

www.photography-matters.blogspot.com
Old 9th May 2013, 06:27 PM
Friend

Shop around for a 203mm Ektar, get a UK made version - Mount 370 as they are fully #0 shutter size compatible, they were sold in Kodak Epsilon, then Prontor SVS and finally the last type Compur shutters.

It's unlkely you'll have my luck I bought some shutters at a Camera fair 3 for £20 and the Prontor SVS had 203mm Ektar cells (all in mint condition). £50-£70 is a typical price although some are sold for £100+ by dealers.

Ian
Old 9th May 2013, 11:09 PM
Friend

Another plus for the 203mm ektars, they seem to have good quality control, both ones I've had were good and sharp, and you don't often read about people having duds.

Only downside is the lack of filter threads but thats a hurdle you can overcome.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies