Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd January 2024, 07:28 PM
Friend

Default RC print dryer (rack shelves style)

Hi,I’ve got a RC print dryer (rack shelves style) but I don’t have , and cannot find on line any information on best practice of use, eg how long to heat dry prints, and how to keep them flat, should I heat the print initially for maybe 5 minutes then transfer them to be pressed under book weights to finish, any top tips would very much be appreciated,
Thank you.

Last edited by Benoitg; 23rd January 2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 24th January 2024, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Welcome aboard.

RC prints dry very quickly as no water is absorbed by the paper (except a tiny bit at the edges).

I have the type of dryer that is a metal box with 4 wire mesh shelves and a fan heater. After washing, I simply squeegee the print on both sides and pop it face up on a shelf and it is dry in a few minutes. RC paper dries as flat as it was in the box so does not need flattening after drying. Most of the time I do not even have the heater element on and just blow cold air over it.

These kinds of drier are not suitable for fibre paper as the paper will curl up uncontrollably.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 24th January 2024, 12:42 PM
Friend

My RC print dryer sounds as if it is very similar to yours and I only use the fan instead of the fan and heating element.

If you use a rubber squeegee on the prints before placing them on the racks then a few minutes only are needed

Yes the heating element does dry them faster but it causes them to curl as well and uses more electricity for no real benefit in my opinion

Mike
Old 24th January 2024, 12:53 PM
Friend

Hello there

I hand my squeegeed RC prints vertically in my film drying tent.

Sometimes with fan only and sometimes with a small amount of additional heat.

RC prints can curl slightly when dried under heat but will flatten again when returned to ambient temperature air.

Martin
Old 24th January 2024, 03:03 PM
Friend

Welcome to the site Benoitg.

Give us a little photographic background and where you're from etc. as we're a friendly bunch.

Terry S
Old 24th January 2024, 07:11 PM
Friend

Default Print dryer

Hi Terry
Havenít quite worked out how this site works yet but Iíll get their eventually. Iím (U.K.) based near London, have been slowly over the last year converting my home based art studio into a darkroom which has been quite a challenge, Iíve been busy collecting equipment and learning the basics of black and white film photography,today has been a milestone for me as I printed in the daytime for the first time and it looks like my light sealing which included two very large skylights has worked! Iíve been finding that the more I print the more I love the process, Iíve switched from being a colour abstract painter so this is quite a change for me but Iím so pleased I took the plunge, itís so fascinating and addictive, Iím completely hooked, from Bulk rolling film to the final print, love the fact there is so much to do and learn but Iím sure you know exactly what Iím saying.
Old 24th January 2024, 07:36 PM
Friend

Thanks Bob
That’s a great help I very recently bought it from second hand darkroom, it’s a Translyde 16x20 quite a hefty piece of kit had another go on it today starting to get a feel for it
Cheers Ben
Old 24th January 2024, 07:38 PM
Friend

Mike
Thanks, I’ll give the cool air fan idea a go,
Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 07:47 PM
Friend

Martin
Yes thanks, I did have another go today and your right about the Rc paper flattening down once it cools, I think the first time I quickly used it and was panicking about the paper curl in the dryer thought maybe it was too hot I was then working late at night so wasn’t really thinking things through, whent on line later but couldn’t find any advice, thank goodness I found this forum
Cheers all the best
Ben
Old 24th January 2024, 09:21 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoitg View Post
thank goodness I found this forum
Cheers all the best
Ben
What I find about this forum is that when you ask a question you generally get replies that answer your direct question and not advice as to why you shouldn't do something unless what you have in mind to do is known to end in real disaster

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies