Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

  ***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29th January 2024, 11:58 AM
Rob Archer's Avatar
Rob Archer Rob Archer is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kings Lynn, Norfolk - flatlands and big skies.
Posts: 1,236
Default Lubricating tripod ball head?

I have a tripod with a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head which isnt operating as smoothly as it used to. Does anyone know if the ball can be lubricated and, if so, what with? I don't want to use some gunk that will just jam it up.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29th January 2024, 12:28 PM
Miha's Avatar
Miha Miha is online now
Friend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 1,507
Default

Hi Rob, I would try to clean it first. See instructions on how to dismantle the head: http://takumar.weebly.com/manfrotto-486rc2.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29th January 2024, 01:00 PM
Rob Archer's Avatar
Rob Archer Rob Archer is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kings Lynn, Norfolk - flatlands and big skies.
Posts: 1,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Hi Rob, I would try to clean it first. See instructions on how to dismantle the head: http://takumar.weebly.com/manfrotto-486rc2.html
That's very useful, thanks. I wouldn't have thought of looking for the lock nut behind that sticker!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29th January 2024, 07:26 PM
John King John King is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: County Durham
Posts: 3,291
Default Greasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
That's very useful, thanks. I wouldn't have thought of looking for the lock nut behind that sticker!
If after cleaning it any grease needs to be applied VERY sparingly. I would use something like a lithium based high melting point grease. That is to make sure in warm weather the grease does not migrate to places it isn't wanted - hence use sparingly. VERY!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30th January 2024, 10:27 AM
Rob Archer's Avatar
Rob Archer Rob Archer is offline
Friend
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kings Lynn, Norfolk - flatlands and big skies.
Posts: 1,236
Default

Thanks for all the advice folks! I've stripped it down, wiped the ball and socket out with a soft cloth with a drop of GT85 spray lube which cleaned up a lot of gunk. I then wiped it off with another clean, soft, damp cloth with a tiny bit of Ecover washing up liquid (less salt as opposed to Fairy etc), left it overnight to dry, then ran a soft (4B) pencil all over it as I had concerns about the long-tern effect of grease on the composite ball. Put it back together and it now works as smooth as butter!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30th January 2024, 12:40 PM
Miha's Avatar
Miha Miha is online now
Friend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 1,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Thanks for all the advice folks! I've stripped it down, wiped the ball and socket out with a soft cloth with a drop of GT85 spray lube which cleaned up a lot of gunk. I then wiped it off with another clean, soft, damp cloth with a tiny bit of Ecover washing up liquid (less salt as opposed to Fairy etc), left it overnight to dry, then ran a soft (4B) pencil all over it as I had concerns about the long-tern effect of grease on the composite ball. Put it back together and it now works as smooth as butter!
I'm glad it worked out.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geared tripod head GoodOldNorm Equipment 2 29th October 2021 05:05 PM
Heavy pan/tilt head for tripod Soren Hansen Equipment miscellaneous 7 31st October 2015 08:59 AM
Kirk BH-3 tripod head F/S Collas Sale or Wanted 0 31st January 2015 05:16 PM
Linhof tripod head Miha Auctions of Interest 0 5th February 2014 09:32 AM
FS: FLM ball head with tilt andreios Sale or Wanted 3 12th July 2013 06:18 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.