Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th January 2024, 10:48 PM
Friend

Default What gallery should box camera images go in?

As in the title. Do box camera images go in the toy camera gallery, have I missed the right gallery or is there no-one else who uses a box camera from time to time?
Old 31st January 2024, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Not entirely sure what a "toy camera" actually is any more. I think it's what cameras like the Holga and similar plastic-fantastic cameras with plastic or simple meniscus lenses were called when they first came out, but I'm not sure that moniker still applies now they have been used to produce so many great images. Possibly the "toy camera" gallery is a tad surplus to requirements these days?

I would say a box camera is a simple camera, more likely to be a classic camera from pre-1960's and, as such, is a mainstream camera.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 31st January 2024, 03:18 PM
Friend

Just checking out the galleries available, I think that a box camera image would fit in the Toy Camera gallery fine, as I'm presuming that the lens won't be modern all over and sharp and the camera itself is probably quite basic.

And yes, it hasn't been used as a gallery much lately. I would put some in, but in general, any pictures that I take that are half decent go into the PE rounds!

Terry S
Old 1st February 2024, 10:19 PM
Friend

Thank you Bob and Terry for your thoughts on this. I raised the question since I must try to take a few shots with the Brownie. I searched the Toy gallery expecting to find a few box camera shots but there weren't any, although there were quite a few shots with cameras that I wouldn't consider toys, even some with reasonably good lenses. Holgas have graduated to have their own gallery as well. I think that if I have anything worth posting (a big "if") it will go in a general gallery.
To me a toy camera would be something made and sold (or given, as in in packets of cornflakes) for kids. The film equivalent of the camera on a Nintendo games console, like possibly the Kodak-Disney collaborations, and probably using a 110 or 126 cartridge (or older equivalents in roll film).
Old 2nd February 2024, 12:44 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Brownie camera PE prints sent out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolyon View Post
I raised the question since I must try to take a few shots with the Brownie. I searched the Toy gallery expecting to find a few box camera shots but there weren't any...
Hi Jolyon,

as I've already said, any half decent pictures of mine end up in PE rounds, rather than individual galleries, so maybe I need to upload the 'second best' pictures occasionally as well?

In fact, just checking my prints, I sent out 2 prints for 3 of the PE rounds. These were, with all 6 being taken on a Kodak Brownie, PE rounds 144, 145 and 146 and are below.

Terry S

Click image for larger version

Name:	PE R144  August 2022 Hyde Hall (Brownie) AAA.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	4926

Name:	PE R144  August 2022 Hyde Hall (Brownie) BBB.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	4927

Name:	PE R145 September 2022 Hyde Hall (Brownie) AAA.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	4928

Name:	PE R145 September 2022 Hyde Hall (Brownie) BBB.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	4929

Name:	PE R146 Oct 2022 Hyde Hall greenhouse  (Brownie) BBB.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4930

Name:	PE R146 Oct 2022 Hyde Hall greenhouse (Brownie)  AAA.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	4931
Old 3rd February 2024, 09:29 AM
Friend

Very nice; they certainly capture the feel of a Brownie! Is yours 6x6? Mine is 6x9 so I really ought to be contact printing (and I can't enlarge 6x9 only 6x7 so I have to crop).
Old 3rd February 2024, 02:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolyon View Post
Very nice; they certainly capture the feel of a Brownie! Is yours 6x6? Mine is 6x9 so I really ought to be contact printing (and I can't enlarge 6x9 only 6x7 so I have to crop).
Yes, mine is a 120 film 6x6 camera. I printed them all up on 7" x 5" paper, then printed them at 5" on each side after trimming, giving them a white border to emulate how they would have been when in popular use, although my white borders are a bit wider than back then, but that's how I personally like them. The prints look good at this size, but I tried to enlarge it on a 10" x 8" paper, but this really showed how soft the lens actually is and the print was put straight in the bin.

They are fun to use occasionally, but I have many other cameras that I prefer to use and are a lot sharper, which even includes my Holga 120 cameras!

Have fun and it would be great to see anything you contact print or enlarge.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies