Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th December 2016, 05:20 PM
Friend

Default New 'Compact 4x5 Film Processing System'

Following a link on a Kickstarter campaign I came across this new idea for a 'Compact 4x5 Film Processing System.' Seems a good idea and easy to use.

It's top four main selling points are:

1. Process up to four sheets of 4x5 film at a time.
2. Uses only 16 (US) oz (475ml) of solution
3. Daylight safe
4. Fills and drains fast

Be interested in others thoughts, especially if anyone buys one and tries it out.

Check it out here:

https://shop.stearmanpress.com/produ...cessing-system

Terry S
Old 8th December 2016, 05:32 PM
Friend

There was a lot of chat about this a few months ago on the Large Format Photography Forum. You should find some user reviews there. I like the MOD54 and my converted Orbital, so haven't looked any further.
Alex
Old 9th December 2016, 07:51 PM
Friend

Well, I am a Kickstarter backer and I bought two.
It works well and is very easy to use (easiest system I've used so far), but there seem to be problems with Ilford films - I've only tried Ilford (Delta 100 and HP5+), so I can't comment on others. The plastic parts touching the negatives on the backing side leave vertical marks. Supposedly they stem from the photo-flo, but I've also tested it without using photo-flo in the tank and the result is the same. It seems to scratch the base ever so slightly. The scratches don't show up in scans (don't have my enlarger yet), but I do want to avoid any possible damage.
For Ilford films I will stick with my Jobo 2609n going forward and I'll retest the SP-445 with other brands of film, if I get to shoot them.

Here's a link to a message in a thread on APUG with two pictures (not mine): http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?.../#post-1830525
Old 11th December 2016, 10:25 AM
Friend

Maybe there is a difference in the dimensions of the base material that's causing the film-base to touch the sides of the tank? A pre-wash would help remove the anti-halation backing of the film - I worked with a forces-trained photographer who reckoned that Ilford added something the the AH backing that behaved like a wetting agent thus improving the absorption of the developer.

Mike
Old 11th December 2016, 04:26 PM
Friend

Well, there are ridges all the way through touching the backside of the negative. Short of removing a part of that structure (which the manufacturer suggested at one point and which I've tried with one negative holder) there's nothing you can do - and even that is not an ideal solution.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies