Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd February 2020, 09:43 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Checked my old phenidone it works fine,I stated earlier that I purchased it from Silverprint, not so. On the plastic tub the there is a RAYCO lable. The Rayco chemical supply company closed down long ago, anyone remember when?

Yes I remember RAYCO and used to buy chems and items from them, in my experience they were a very good company.

I still have one of their small booklets somewhere that was full of hints / tips and basic forumlas to get you going with mixing your own brews.

Great shame they are not still arround, or something similar.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I think around 2004/5

Ian
So my phenidone that still works is at least 15-16 years old or older. I have kept it stored in two plastic bags with the air squeezed out. The bagged phenidone was then pushed back in it's plastic Rayco tub and stored in a cupboard.
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:56 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Yes I remember RAYCO and used to buy chems and items from them, in my experience they were a very good company.

I still have one of their small booklets somewhere that was full of hints / tips and basic forumlas to get you going with mixing your own brews.

Great shame they are not still arround, or something similar.

Neil.

I wrote an updated booklet for Steve a few sometime before the name & stock was sold. It was in PDf form not sure if I still have it. I have the original written by Ray Kingdon the founder.

Ian
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:15 AM
Friend

I still have lots of chemicals in Rayco tubs. They'd gone before I got into making my own stuff but I was given a box of chemicals a few years ago. All of it is still usable except a tub of 500g of sodium hydroxide which has turned to mush - I guess moisture got into into it. I've wondered about trying to dry it out in the oven but it's nasty stuff and I have a vague memory from school that heating it might change it chemically. Advice?

My enlarger timer is a Rayco that has been reliable ever since I was given it over 20 years ago.
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
All of it is still usable except a tub of 500g of sodium hydroxide which has turned to mush - I guess moisture got into into it. I've wondered about trying to dry it out in the oven but it's nasty stuff and I have a vague memory from school that heating it might change it chemically. Advice?
All that I know Rob, is that it is nasty stuff - especially when heated in any way!

I'd dispose of it, as it's easy and cheap to replace.

Terry S
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:55 AM
Friend

Chempl (964) responded to my enquiry by stating that his phenidone is first class bought from a reliable source not from China. It is my fault that it is not potent enough because I must have stored it wrong and it will have deteriorated since I bought it in Sept. 2019.
Rayco phenidone almost 20 years old works.
Chempl (964) phenidone stored exactly the same way as Rayco phenidone deteriorated after 4 months.

He just lost a customer.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:44 PM
Friend

Hmmm.....i'll need to keep an eye on my Phenidone too.....so he may lose another customer!

Mike
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Chempl (964) responded to my enquiry by stating that his phenidone is first class bought from a reliable source not from China. It is my fault that it is not potent enough because I must have stored it wrong and it will have deteriorated since I bought it in Sept. 2019.
Rayco phenidone almost 20 years old works.
Chempl (964) phenidone stored exactly the same way as Rayco phenidone deteriorated after 4 months.

He just lost a customer.
I take it that the first paragraph is the seller's statement to you Norm. If so it would have lost me as a customer as well.

Mike
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I take it that the first paragraph is the seller's statement to you Norm. If so it would have lost me as a customer as well.

Mike
His actual words : phenidone is unstable substance, it is possible that during half-year storage in your conditions it deteriorated. I only buy premium class compounds from my suppliers, with cetificates of quality and never buy from China.

In this case "the customer is always wrong" I see that this seller has quite a few negative fedbacks. He did not tell me how it should be stored, just that I must have stored it in the wrong conditions.
Old 6th February 2020, 08:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
His actual words : phenidone is unstable substance, it is possible that during half-year storage in your conditions it deteriorated. I only buy premium class compounds from my suppliers, with cetificates of quality and never buy from China.

In this case "the customer is always wrong" I see that this seller has quite a few negative fedbacks. He did not tell me how it should be stored, just that I must have stored it in the wrong conditions.
Emailed chempl (964) and sarcastically asked how I should store his phenidone. He replied by saying that his phenidone is so pure that it is sensitive to temperature, humidity and moisture. He has to renew his stock every 3 months because it deteriorates. Still no advice on how to store it, but he states that his "pure" phenidone loses potency after 3 months no matter how you store it. So if you want super pure phenidone that you have to use straight away buy from chempl (964), it may already be 3 months old when you get it.

Have I been told "a load of old codswollap"? I believe so.

Last edited by GoodOldNorm; 6th February 2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies