Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2010, 02:14 PM
Friend

Default Fomalux FB contact printing paper

Silverprint are now stocking this new paper for contact printing. At present only available in one grade, Special, approx. grade 2.

Martin kindly gave me a few sheets to test and I must say I found it just beautiful. Capable of the warmest of tones and tones quickly in selenium with a pronounced colour shift for those after this look.

I found the grade S harder than what I would consider a normal grade 2 compared to Ilford papers. However this could easily be rectified by using soft gradation developers and or water bath technique.

The paper is quite fast for a silver chloride emulsion, especially when compared to Lodima. I would think it is feasible to make projection print with this paper if one has sufficiently bright enlarger lamps. The papers weight is also quite substantial.

Damn, I was only at Silverprint on Monday, now I'll have to return next week

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=1126
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 15th September 2010, 10:34 PM
Friend

Trevor - thanks for your comments on this paper. My project for this fall is to do some contact printing of negatives that I have made over the summer - and now I think that I will give this paper a try along with several others. Glad to see that it comes in 25 sheet packs.

There's hope in these footsteps of persistence...
Old 16th September 2010, 07:17 AM
Friend

Hi Mark, I think you will appreciate the paper sizes, Martin informs me the paper is primarily aimed at the US market. I was keen to obtain some 9.5"x12" but it looks as if its only available on special order

If you are not already aware there is quite an extensive thread about this paper on the APUG site.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 16th September 2010, 08:10 AM
Friend

Hi Trevor

I'm just curios to know why you want the 9.5x12 paper, never having done any contact printing of large format, I was wondering is it because you contact print 10x8 and need a paper big enough to leave a border around the image?
I have been thinking of contact printing 4x5 to see if I like the results, having read lots of positive comments about contact printing, my only fear is I will like it too much, and want to go larger, and start looking at 8x10 and before I know it I'm selling the house to fund my habit

Neil
Old 16th September 2010, 08:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
Hi Trevor

I'm just curios to know why you want the 9.5x12 paper, never having done any contact printing of large format, I was wondering is it because you contact print 10x8 and need a paper big enough to leave a border around the image?
I have been thinking of contact printing 4x5 to see if I like the results, having read lots of positive comments about contact printing, my only fear is I will like it too much, and want to go larger, and start looking at 8x10 and before I know it I'm selling the house to fund my habit

Neil
Hi Neil, yes for that very reason, so I can have a black border around the image. Usually I trim the black rebate off when printing on 8x10 paper, but I rather like the look of the larger black border. It doesn't suit every image but at least it gives me the option. When I bought Lodima I purchased some 9"x11" which was a one-off.

8x10 - go for it Neil, if you buy S/H it shouldn't cost too much, mind you running cost is pricey When I visited Silverprint this week I saw the negative taken on Martin's Deardorff 11"x14"!!! An Ebony 11x14, mmm, (talking to wife) - "it's time to sell the car"

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers

Last edited by Trevor Crone; 16th September 2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old 16th September 2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks Trevor, I like the sound of this.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:26 PM
Friend

Just a brief update on my findings with this excellent paper.

I managed to obtain some 8x10 from Silverprint yesterday and have just managed to print an 8x10 neg. on it.

Because this is quite a fast silver chloride contact paper I was interested to see if my enlarger lamp with lens set at f5.6 (wide open) would give me manageable printing times, I'm pleased to say it does.

With the head at 75cm from the frame I was able to get a printing time of 25 seconds base exposure. All be it with a thinnish neg. (PMK pyro plus). I developed the paper in Ilford's WT diluted 1:9 for 2 minutes which gave the print a lovely warm tone. I liked the look without toning but because the blacks needed some intensification I selenium toned (1:20 dilution) for 2 minutes max. This gave the intensification I was after but started to turn the darker tones a slight reddish-brown. Although I don't find this unpleasant by any means its just I prefer the look of the untoned warmth of this paper.

When I get a bit more time I plan to see if I can projection print with this paper, for it certainly seems fast enough to allow enlargements to be made?

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Just a brief update on my findings with this excellent paper.

I managed to obtain some 8x10 from Silverprint yesterday and have just managed to print an 8x10 neg. on it.

Because this is quite a fast silver chloride contact paper I was interested to see if my enlarger lamp with lens set at f5.6 (wide open) would give me manageable printing times, I'm pleased to say it does.

With the head at 75cm from the frame I was able to get a printing time of 25 seconds base exposure. All be it with a thinnish neg. (PMK pyro plus). I developed the paper in Ilford's WT diluted 1:9 for 2 minutes which gave the print a lovely warm tone. I liked the look without toning but because the blacks needed some intensification I selenium toned (1:20 dilution) for 2 minutes max. This gave the intensification I was after but started to turn the darker tones a slight reddish-brown. Although I don't find this unpleasant by any means its just I prefer the look of the untoned warmth of this paper.

When I get a bit more time I plan to see if I can projection print with this paper, for it certainly seems fast enough to allow enlargements to be made?
Sounds like projection printing should be possible though you may be counting cups of tea rather than elephants.
Old 23rd September 2010, 03:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sounds like projection printing should be possible though you may be counting cups of tea rather than elephants.
Absolutely - a paper only for those not in a hurry and have a glass negative carrier

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 16th October 2010, 09:35 PM
Friend

I found it between 3 and 4 stops slower than Ilford warmtone, also, SP 111 has amazing brilliant blacks with a long gradation for the 90 ISO R they claim.

For those with a durst 670 and a analyzer pro, +41/120 were the first results, but I'm not pretty sure about contrast, I should check the contrast test under sunlight.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies