Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th October 2019, 06:48 PM
Friend

And hopefully FB and LF will follow...

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th October 2019, 06:54 PM
Friend

Hmm... That's quite expensive for the film. Might be OK if it was for occasional use but if you wanted to be a regular user of Ortho your film bill goes up quite a bit. It's a pity that the film has arrived now we have entered the dark period of the year where good light even in the middle of the day is at a premium except on those rare blue skies days but new film takes time to bring to market so the timing is what it is

Likewise the paper in terms of price and in the case of paper there will soon be no choice if you want to use Ilford.

Michael's link to the Tim Rudman letter is worth reading. He gives it a very favourable write-up but the straight b&w print if I can call it that didn't look that much different but it is always difficult to tell differences looking at prints on a screen

If anyone else here reads his write-up I'd be interested in their interpretation of the speeds for grades 4-5. It seems to suggest that the Ilford recommendation of doubling exposure speed is now wrong Much less than double is now required but I couldn't quite tell if there is a small change required in exposure or no change at all.

Mike
Old 24th October 2019, 07:02 PM
Friend

I just bothered to check Kentmere's paper's price on Ag and I take it all back Kentmere is now just as expensive in 5x7 size as the new Ilford MGV.

I haven't bought Kentmere is some while but I do occasionally check on price and certainly at AG this stuff seems to have jumped a lot in price. Still about £5 cheaper at Sharif Photographic

Mike
Old 24th October 2019, 09:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
And hopefully FB and LF will follow...
Does anyone know if this film is any different to the existing 4x5" ILFORD ORTHO PLUS?

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th October 2019, 09:52 PM
Friend

Marty, the Ilford website is now referring to the sheet film as "Ortho Copy Plus". Could be a clue. They haven't just taken over the sheet film description on to the small and medium format pages.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Still about £5 cheaper at Sharif Photographic

Mike
Yup, as always, it pays to shop around. I was quite surprised in the difference in prices of some items, from seller to seller when I compared them.

In fact, I had a 10% off voucher this week from ebay, and setting up an Exel spreadsheet, I compared online shops with ebay. It didn't really work out any different, even with the 10% off, as the best priced ebay shops all added on an extra bit of p/p on EACH item.

I've still got enough chemicals and paper to keep me going, but the next shop who has a 10% off promotion, will probably get a big order from me, as I'm in need of a new set of MG filters as well!! (Hint, hint, traders!!!)

Terry S
Old 25th October 2019, 11:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Anyone know of any prices for the paper and film?

Mike
Just checking one of our sponsors sites, AG Photographic, it seems they are still selling what they have left of MGIV at the old price, and the new MG V is about £2.50 extra on a 100 sheet box of 10 x 8.

I was about to order some bits, including paper, so will buy from the next seller who has a 10% off sale! (I'm repeating this bit regularly, to hopefully get through to one of them... )

Terry S
Old 25th October 2019, 11:54 AM
Friend

What will count in terms of the pricing of both the MGV and the ortho film is retailer competition. So far I have only seen this stuff at Ag so its early days

Given the price premium of the new ortho film what I can predict, I feel, with a degree of certainly is that the ortho film price is unlikely to be competitive with the Ilford Panchromatic range in even the medium term future

Mike

Mike
Old 25th October 2019, 12:22 PM
Banned

I posted this in another link, I should have uploaded days ago, sorry

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	3438   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	3439  
Old 25th October 2019, 12:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Does anyone know if this film is any different to the existing 4x5" ILFORD ORTHO PLUS?
AS far as I can tell - its the same stuff as the 5x4 - just coated onto a thinner film base.

I've had some 5x4 in my freezer for years and never used it. I had thought about doing something "arty" with it - but never got round to it.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies