Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU YEARBOOK 2014

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2014, 11:22 AM
Friend

Default Year Book 2014

I see that mono has raised a separate thread about year books, which has got me thinking.

An exhibition is a massive undertaking which I suspect very few people would have either the inclination or the time to take on.

i) If a way could be found to raise a 2014/15 year book would there be any interest ?

ii) Could it be done online through a dedicated portion of the FADU forum ?

iii) If it was thought to be possible to do online, who or how could the images be chosen for the book ?

iv) I suspect images would be better chosen after being seen in real life rather than online, so could that be done by post ?

v) If a year book was printed by non analogue methods then they could be printed to order and in any quantity that was required, but would that go against the spirit of FADU ?

These are just the my rambling thoughts and I would be interested to read others thoughts but I for one would be interested in 2014/15 year book

Ian
Old 25th August 2014, 11:49 AM
Friend

Sorry, I didnīt ;-))

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 25th August 2014, 12:19 PM
Friend

If you're volunteering, Ian, I'll help you out....

When this has been raised in the past it usually comes down to time, effort and money.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:21 PM
Friend

The prints for previous FADU year books came via our exhibition, which Dave ran and organised. Dave selected the exhibition prints and also did the selection for the year book. Unfortunately Dave is no longer here and as no one else has come forward to do the task there has been no further books.

I am sure there would be a lot of interest from FADU members if the year book idea was to be resurrected. Dave used Blurb to create his year books and the prints were scanned, so someone who was familiar with Blurb or a similar product would need to take the task on. Selection of the prints without an exhibition needs thinking about but I am sure this could be overcome.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 25th August 2014, 02:44 PM
Friend

I've been thinking along the same lines but was wondering if it would be more interesting to work around a theme rather than a 'greatest hits' type book? My original idea was to look at it as a collaboration with a Blurb book as the end result.

Tony
Old 25th August 2014, 02:58 PM
Friend

I'm now fully retired and would be happy to help with the production of another FADU book. I have made a number of personal Blurb books and have quite enjoyed doing it. I'm tempted to offer to put the whole thing together just as Dave did. Please get in touch if there is an interest.
Old 25th August 2014, 02:58 PM
Friend

I jotted down the following - similar to Ian but this was my idea.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in collaborating on a medium-term photographic project?

Here's a summary as a starter:-

We settle on a group of us at the beginning who express an interest and are prepared to commit.

We pick a theme and interpret that theme using analogue processes.

We take around 3 months to photograph and print images around that theme.

We submit them to a gallery here on FADU (subject to the admin agreeing).

We decide on a set of final images.

We produce a book using Blurb or such like and each contribute to the cost of it. (this isn't going to be a huge amount if we all chip in)

It's not too far from the FADU yearbook idea but I'd quite like to work around a project theme and see how we interpret it between us.

For me it would be interesting to collaborate, to commit to a project (and complete it) and to learn a bit about how to go about such a project over a period of time.

Just my tuppence worth!
Those were my initial thoughts but I'm more than happy to help out doing a yearbook, if we feel that's a better option

Tony
Old 25th August 2014, 03:15 PM
Friend

mono, sorry thought it was you who started the thread about book updates.

Tony, similar thoughts from me

Xpres, Volunteering ? No. Thinking about volunteering? Maybe. Think I would need to have a serious chat with the other half. Also do not have any experience with Blurb, only used things like Photobox or Snapfish.

Think there will have to be plenty more input from other members, before this idea even gets to the thinking about it stage, let alone the volunteering stage.

Ian
Old 25th August 2014, 03:25 PM
Friend

I've done a few Blurb books but I would say let's take Les McLean's offer up for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambsIan View Post
mono, sorry thought it was you who started the thread about book updates.

Tony, similar thoughts from me

Xpres, Volunteering ? No. Thinking about volunteering? Maybe. Think I would need to have a serious chat with the other half. Also do not have any experience with Blurb, only used things like Photobox or Snapfish.

Think there will have to be plenty more input from other members, before this idea even gets to the thinking about it stage, let alone the volunteering stage.

Ian

Tony
Old 25th August 2014, 03:54 PM
Friend

Les's offer is a very generous one and I would certainly like to see Les involved and preferably having the final word of what goes in and the general layout. I think it is very important to get this right from the start to avoid the project looking like an amateur work.

Enjoy your retirement Les and many thanks for making this offer.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies